Sign in to follow this  

Well, nice to get THAT out of the way!

Had my DR650 for a week. My first mod (after drilling out the mixture screw cover) was to remove the stock mirrors. Put a bar end mirror on the left side of the bars. Rotated the handlebars up a few degrees. Feels nice. Not worried about the mirror in the brush because my DR is for the street and the twisties. I have fallen in love with this bike, and considering I just sold a Ducati S2R, I think that is saying alot. Never bonded with the Duc. I started out on dirt bikes thirty years ago (which we ripped around the neighborhood streets on more than actual dirt) and now I've come full circle, albeit much bigger and nicer.

So after double checking all the handlebar/lever fasteners, I fired her up to take a helmetless spin around the 'hood. Revved her up, got both feet on the pegs, went maybe two feet, the front end bucked around a bit (wha' happun?) and promptly fell over on the left side.

Disc lock ops check: good.

Scraped up (but did not break) my new bar end mirror. Bent the shifter just enough to scrape the engine side cover. My fat ass protected the tank. Pulled the shifter, bent it back into position. Readjusted mirror. Checked front brake for damage. Felt stupid.

Bike seems fine, though she coughed a bit upon restart. Spun around the block, and surprisingly, the mirror didn't vibrate any.

The best news? The hot blonde across the street came home about five seconds after I had gotten up and picked up the bike, so I acted like I was making some critical adjustments rather than just picking my dumb ass up off the street.

Regards,

Furyus

Next time have somebody ready witha video camera

Right. I'd like to see the blonde neighbor.

Revved her up, got both feet on the pegs, went maybe two feet, the front end bucked around a bit (wha' happun?) and promptly fell over on the left side.

Disc lock ops check: good.

I did that 2x on an old katana I had. Hopefully I got it out of my system. If not, I might get one of those dorky/springy reminder cords.

Thats why I ALWAYS put my "dorky/springy" bright orange reminder cord across my handlebars when the disc lock is on.

I remember running full steam down the side of the house right after changing out the deathwings with real tires only to realize that I forgot to pump the brakes once I reassembled everything. I promptly crashed through the wooden gate that was partially open at the end. Only thing it cost me was paint streaks across the bar ends and a new pair of boxers.

I just did the same thing after putting on the mt21 (rear) (didn't pump the brake) . . . except I was entering traffic. That combination of horror, adrenaline, extreme desperation, and more than a twinge of stupidity -- what a rush! Why do we admit this stuff?

Anyway, fortunately, I only replaced the rear and the front brake was fine.

By the way, MT21 (130/90) rocks in dirt, but I only have the "deathwing" to compare. Wet pavement? Forget about it -- start out is second to minimize the likelihood of losing contact with the street . . . and try to look as cool as you can while taking a corner at 4 mph. :thumbsup:

Don't worry, Furyus, you'll probably have plenty of other chances to look stupid in front of the hottie. Good thinking on feigning the bike adjustments though -- I thought I was the only one that did that.