Sign in to follow this  

What Do I need To Replace Top End?

i'm pretty new to 2-strokes and have yet to replace a top end. I have a 98' RM125 and i want to do it myself. where should i get a kit from, how long will this take, how much will it cost, what else should i know? i have a Clymer's manual too. also, are there any good sites with tips and tricks? thanks.

well all i have to say is good luck...the first is always the funnest

piston, bearing, gasket kit, anti freeze. check the inside of your cylinder after you take it apart to make sure its not all gouged or scraped up and put back together. i would go with a wiseco bearing and piston, good luck

oh, and tips and tricks, there really are none. the clymer manual should show you in good detail what to do. make sure you have all the proper tools including a torque wrench.

steps to doing a top end: remove gas tank and shrouds, drain the coolant, remove the bottom rad bolts so rad can be pushed forward (may not be necesary), remove the top motor mount, remove the head, disconect the poervalve linkage, remove the jug, wrap the con-rod with a towl to prevent debris from falling in, remove the piston and pin + bearing, scrape all the old gaskes off and inspect parts for damage ect, clean the povervalve (if its dirty), install new piston, pin, bearing ect, install jug, head, reconnect the powervalve links, install the upper motor mount, rads, tank srouds, and whatever else i missed, fill with coolant, turn on gas, kick the starter, start break-in

good luck, and dont rush yourself