Sign in to follow this  

Opinions please

I read some of the other posts related to the 06 vs 07 but my situation is a little different. I have an 06 KX250F, which is practically brand new so we are not getting an 07. However, I am interested in the KX450F. I am a Novice rider 6'0" 155lbs. I want some opinions on how the bike is in stock form for 06. Obviosly I would save some bank buying an 06 vs buying an 07 but if there are some serious problems or dislikes for 06, I would spend the money for an 07. Main question is the 4 speed vs 5 speed. I use 5th gear on my 250F on 20% of the tracks I ride so I'm guessing the 4 speed would be fine. Any two cents from anyone helps, Thanks.

We have both so I have switched back many times. They are totally different bikes in more ways than just motor size. My son rides the 250F and I have the 450F. Everytime he gets on my bike he will come back in and say he has to stop riding it or he won't get back on his bike, it is way easier to ride. Problem is, for someone just starting out or wanting to learn to go fast the 250F is better for that. The reason is the 450F is easy and will tend to make you lazy, the 250F you have to work at to ride fast, so in turn it will make you faster.

Really depends on your situation. My son is 16 and want to learn to ride so he wants to avoid the 450F until he learns proper technique. I'm 44 years old and have been riding and racing since 1977, I've learned all I'm going to learn so I'm ready to be lazy now.

I just hope that the 5 speed is really really good because I like the the 4, if the ratios are close to last year then it will be great!

I agree with KARTERRON,

I have the kx450f, I used to have a CR250, since i got on the 450, I am LAZY, the most lazy person ever, I roll the corners so bad its not funny and with only 4 gears, on the track I hardly shift, I'm like 3rd all over, Its to the point I'm so bad at rolling corners, the 2 strokes behind in my line, can't keep the speed to clear the jumps, cuz I just roll and hit the throttle and clear them, the 2 strokes don't have enough ZIP to hit the powerband and make it over cleanly.

But then I get back on the CR250 and I can't ride worth crap because I ran into a habit of rolling the corners, so I finally got to the point I'm not rolling corners not more and now doing it on the 450F ( Since I have both bikes ).

So for kicks and laughs I jump on a KX250F the last couple weekends and even though now I feel like I have to put my foot and scoot it through the corners the first few laps, but then I really honkered down on it and grabbed some throttle and I'm actually faster on the 250F now, because I'm forced to ride it more aggressive then the 450F, So it really makes me a better rider, even though I feel slower on the 250F my lap times improved ALOT, which then I can grab all the true power out of my 450F that made me a better rider all around now, but the 250F definately helped me more then anything.

So to answer your question, I would honestly stick to a 250F, til your more then a Buck Fiddy Five, I'm almost 200 with Gear and it still throws my arse 4 ways from tuesday most the time