Sign in to follow this  

more carb woes

I reopenned the carb to try to get to the bottom of my stuck float and the slow jet was just sitting in the bottom of the bowl!!

it has unscrewed and was just sitting there in the bowl. I had the same thing happen with the needle jet holder the last time I took the carb apart. what is wrong with me?

all the metal parts are now sitting in carb cleaner and I'm going to rinse, compressed air dry and rebuild one more time. any thoughts on why the jets are coming unscrewed in the bowl, is it a side effect of the bowl flooding from the stuck float, or would these jets coming unscrewed create the same effect as a stuck float (i.e., stalling, flooding the bowl)?

well, I cleaned everything and the bike started right up. the middle to top throttle response was close to zero. it started a second time and then wouldn't start. I would bet money that at least one of the jets is sitting on the bottom of the carb bowl.

the jets just seems so loose, and I obviously can't just screw them in tighter, the position of these jets is what controls the fuel flow, right?

someone please help me, for the love of God help me!

the jets probably hung up the float...they must be tight, but if tightened too much they may strip out, its only cast aluminum. You may need to buy a new carb. Take it to the shop and have them check it for you to see if its shot.

I wonder if it would be okay to put a little thread locker in there...:thumbsup: I assume it would be as long as it cant contaminate the fuel...

If you can't snug down the jets maybe the carb body is cracked.

Someone at the track was describing this to me, called it carburatoritis (sp?)

I was just confused. there is one jet (the one with the spring, washer and o-ring) that you need to restore the screw setting. the funny thing is that when I openned the carb the first time the other two jets were not screwed in all the way so after I cleaned them I returned them to their less-than-fully-screwed-in position. but now that they are clean they are obviously coming loose and dropping down and blocking the operation of the float.

thanks for your help everyone. as I first suspected it was an error on my part rather than a mechanical issue.

NOI NO NO NO NO NO THREAD LOCK!!!!! just screw them in tight and no its not the position of the jet its the size. Thats why they sell diff jets. Dont worry i used to think the same thing a long time ago. U must put theme in there tight!!!! BUT DONT MUSCLE MAN THEM!!!! of u strip shit out ur ****ed. Spray everything otu with carb cleaner and compressed air one mroe time just to make sure never hurts. Then assemble everything tight bro. Now there are things like ur little idle jets that dont screw in all the way and they have springs on the screws so that they stay in the correct the position. Anyways hope this helps. Feel free to pm me or pm me askin for my phone number and ill help u with ne thing you need bro. Hope this helps.

Todd