Sign in to follow this  

Getting dents out of front pipe

Evenin' chaps,

Just got one biiig mother of a dent stuck in my pipe and i was just wondering how you would go about getting it out?

Try filling it with water and freezing it.

You may have to do that a couple of times to completely get the dent out.

ok, thanks mate. So how do you plug the ends of the pipe when you do this? Because if you bung the ends with a cork or something, surely when the water freezes it would just push out the bungs at either end?

Id just replace the pipe. Even if you get the dent pulled out, it is very likely that when it gets cold the dented area will pop back in again.

Actually I've never froze a pipe before but I've read on here A LOT about people doing it. Try searching through the forums and see if anyone goes in to better detail about it :thumbsup:

many thanks matey! Well i think what i'm gonna do is take it to the dealer and get him to heat it up and push the dent out. Cause I'm guesing he's done this plenty of times.

only bad thing is u will leave a hell of alot of marks after u push it out, how big is the dent and is it affecting performance. DeViLdRiVeR.

This has worked for me with 2 stroke pipes. Of course, it assumes you have the tools and the skill to braze metal. Drill a small hole in the center of the dent, screw a sheet metal screw into the hole, tack it in place with a brazing rod and acetylene torch, connect a slide hammer to the screw, lightly heat in and around the dented area, and use the slide hammer to pull out the dent. Afterward, heat the tack so you can remove the screw and braze over the hole. For a large size dent, you may have to do this a few times to get it back to where it was. Lightly, hit it it with a grinder if needed to smooth out the braze without grinding the braze off and paint over it with some high temp flat black paint.

also.. ( you have to be very careful with this method ) if you have the right tools. plug one end of the pipe. and presurize the other end with air while heating the dent. dependin on size of the dent and such should pop right out.. worked for me