Sign in to follow this  

The Q?

I am in the process of saving for a new FMF silencer. I have heard the stock silencer is very restirctive. So that is why i made this decision. I will either buy the Turbine Core 2, or the Q. It would be nice to have a quiet silencer. But i wasnt sure if the Q was restrictive or not. Sound is not the most important factor though. It would just be nice. I am really looking for a good silencer that will give it a little bit of a power increase. Thanks

turbine core 2 and Q are the same design except the Q is longer.It has more packing therfore making it quieter.I believe the stock pipe is still a double wall design and is restrictive also.The kdx will run better with the silencer alone but with the pipe and silencer it will be night and day different.

I love how my bike is stock. I just want a hair more power. So the Q will give me the same amount of power, just in a quiet form?

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Q has a spark arrestor making it forest approved.

The Turbine Core 2 has a spark arrestor also. Does anyone know if the TB2 would be under 96 decibels?

you wont notice a difference in power with just a silencer. You will if you add a pipe. I rode my kdx with a powercore 2 and the stocker, no differnce felt in power and it was only a tad louder. I also have a turbinecore2 and it isnt much louder than the stocker. But if you think you will get $120 worth of preformance with a silencer it isnt true.

What he said is what I meant. You said you wanted power, so get a pipe, as there are MANY people who have reported no / very little power change by changing the spark arrestor / silencer.

A friend of mine has the Q and I really like it.

www.fmfracing.com

Right now I just dont have the money for a pipe. I have been told that the stock silencer is very restrictive. Is sound the only difference between the Q and the Turbine Core 2? I want something thats under 96 decibels.

IF the stock spark arrestor was very restrictive, would it make sense that an aftermarket spark arrestor does not deliver a noticeable power gain???

No offense to the entire world, but everyone gets a pipe because it is about the easiest thing they can figure out how to bolt on. If you want more power for cheap, then buy a few jets and learn how to jet it. Also, if you ride in dry conditions, take off the airbox lid, or buy another one (used) and cut it down to a (small as it can get and still mount the electronics component(s)) size. THEN do the jetting.

If you woould like to keep the bike quiet but get more power, get a pipe and keep the stock silencer. I have the "Q" on my RM, and while it does not seem to hurt the power, it really is not much quieter than the stock MX silencer. The bike is still really loud, and I was disappointed with the results. I was expecting a greater sound reduction for $150.

I just got a TurbineCore2 off of Ebay for $66! :thumbsup:

I'll put in on today or tommorrow and let you know how it does. I'm hopefull it will be quieter than my stock pipe but from what I just read it might not be. :applause: Oh, well, I really got it because I needed a spark arrestor.

I had a magazine that had an exhaust shoot out where they tested $45,000 worth of pipes. Looking at the graphs I think the most they got was around 2-3 HP. In my opinion it's not worth buying a $900 pipe for most riders. Kind of like what 4strokes4me said.

You might look at changing your sprocket sizes to get better gearing instead.

I dont want to sacrifice any top speed either. Being quiet isnt my main concern. And most likely, i will be purchasing a Turbine Core 2.

Put on the Turbinecore 2. Fricken Ebay. Packaging says KX 250 96 but it didn't fit right. Part numbers referenced to a 93-96 CR250R. :applause: Since I only paid $66 and it was a close out item, I decided to keep it. I had to bend the pipe slightly to make it fit and it only bolts up on the rear hole. Still not sure if it will hit when the suspension is at full compression. My stock pipe rubbed a little and this seems to be about the same area. Maybe able to bend it more if needed.

No difference in noise that I could tell, maybe slightly louder like others said. Not really a tone difference. Now power gains and no reason to get one unless you are buying it for the looks or to get a spark arrestor like I was.

Save the money and put it towards something else like a skid plate or protective gear . I noticed you didn't have any in your pic. :thumbsup: Nice bike too. I love those KDX's.

I'd keep it stock until you have enough for a pipe and silencer combo. A silencer isn't going to give you much bang for your buck. A pipe alone will also work. A silencer alone isn't going to make much difference. I doubt you'd even feel the difference.