Sign in to follow this  

smog cannister - perf issues?

I have just realized that my 'new to me' green '03 has what I have learned is a california smog cannister system.

I'm wondering, does this system adversely affect either MPG or power? Trying to decide what I have to gain by removing it.

Thanks.

You won't gain anything as it is a passive system. You may lose a little weight if you pull it off. The canister can also fill with gas if you tip the bike over or overfill the tank. Never happened to me but I think it causes the bike to act like it is out of gas. Mine has been gone since day one, the dogs are still fighting over it in the yard.

LOOSE IT!! I just recently took mine off, you don't gain any power but if your like me and you go up and down in elevation you will get vapor lock and it acts like its running out of gas. Not to mention it makes the bike look a lot better without that big black canister on the back. Ride on :thumbsup:

The smog cannisters are great! It's like getting 22 feet of spare rubber hose free with every bike purchase. :thumbsup: