Sign in to follow this  

My '06 Yamaha YFZ 450 SE

Hey all, here some pics of my current ride, an '06 Yamaha YFZ 450 SE.

YFZ014.jpg

YFZ013.jpg

YFZ012.jpg

YFZ011.jpg

I like my quad for the most part, but Im looking foreward to trading it in on an '07 or '08 YZ 250F next year. I wanna get into racing MX and there are soooo many more racing opportunities for bikes than there are for quads.

I had been leaning towards getting a YZ 250F before I got my quad, but Im kinda new to bikes and I figured that getting used to using the clutch, shifting, using seperate front and rear brakes, using a twist throttle and getting used to cornering a bike would be a bit much (Ive owned quads before, but only Polaris automatic quads), so I figured I would get a sport quad for now, ride it untill I felt comfortable on it and then upgrade to a bike.

I didnt think Id take to the quad this quickly though. Ive had it for 6 weeks and Im already wishing I would have gotten a bike instead. I can clear 60' jumps pretty easily right now and shifting/using the clutch is pretty much instinctive to me now. Oh well, Im still having fun on the quad. A friend of mine has his own private MX track that I can ride on pretty much anytime I want and Im working hard to get as good as I can on my quad. I figure that if I can master jumping on my quad, adapting to a bike should be no big deal.

I'd never thought I would say this, but... nice quad. :thumbsup:

Yea I'm not a fan of Yammaha's but that yellow and those vintage graphics look very nice.

Nice YFZ :thumbsup:

I've got the same one, stock for now. Is that pipe loud? I love the quality of yosh but hate the noise, I need to stay under 96db where I ride it

Nice man, I was going to get one, but went with the YZ450F SE bike instend, just because I needed a new bike first, very nice. Yeah, bike's are great, but Quads are good. I say keep it, and get a bike if you can.

Nice YFZ :applause:

I've got the same one, stock for now. Is that pipe loud? I love the quality of yosh but hate the noise, I need to stay under 96db where I ride it

Mines loud, but I have the spark arrestor taken out. I ride on private land and MX tracks, so noise isnt an issue for me.

When I first got my Yoshi pipe I ran it with the spark arrestor in and it wasnt too loud. Yoshi claims its 96 DB with the spark arrestor in. You are right though, the quality of Yoshi pipes is amazing.

It made a dramatic power difference in my quad. I changed the jets, removed the airbox lid and put on the pipe and my quad pulls hard now. You can wheelie it in just about any gear without even having to lean back.

When I get my bike I may keep the quad, but I figure that if I trade the quad in I can get a 250F for about $2000 difference.

Also, if I have a bike, I know that they quad will be sitting around collecting dust all the time, so I see no sense in keeping the quad. :ride:

Im always getting compliments on my quad. Everyone loves the retro yellow graphics. When it had the stock exhaust I took it trail riding to break it in and people were always giving me the thumbs up out on the trail and Ive had a few people come up to me between races at the track and tell me how sweet the yellow graphics look. :thumbsup:

Ive seen some pics of the Kawi 450 and it looks nice. Im a diehard Yamaha guy though, so the Kawi 450 aint got nothin' on my YFZ.

Dirt bikes are easy to ride you should get one, I started riding 2 years ago on a YZ125 at first the bike was fast but for the most part bikes are easy to ride. Racing bikes is a lot of fun to but with the club I race with there are tons of quad riders (there are more bikes) but ATVer's race all the time just call around and you should find a racing club or race events that allow ATV's.

Oh and nice qaud.

That is a sick looking quad. When I was in the dealership buying my bike and I saw one of them it actually make me think for a second but I still went with the bike :thumbsup:

Dirt bikes are easy to ride you should get one, I started riding 2 years ago on a YZ125 at first the bike was fast but for the most part bikes are easy to ride. Racing bikes is a lot of fun to but with the club I race with there are tons of quad riders (there are more bikes) but ATVer's race all the time just call around and you should find a racing club or race events that allow ATV's.

Oh and nice qaud.

Ive checked around and there are a few MX tracks that allow ATVs. There 2 that are an hour and a half drive away and another that is about 4 hours away. I will probably race at the one thats 4 hours away (Sugar Camp, WI). I can stay at my parents' house in northern WI and then drive 20 minutes to the track.

Theres a track about 30 minutes away from my home, but they dont allow quads on the MX track.

I'll probably do a few MX races with the quad next summer and then trade it in on a 250F when Yamaha has the sweet financing deals going on.

Im sure I will take to a bike quickly. After about a day of trail riding my quad I had it pretty well figured out and since then Ive been really wishing I would have went with the bike.

Oh well, I'll get the quad paid off and then I can trade it in...:thumbsup:

Yeah, I kinda figured the yosh was loud, I had one on a 02 Raptor i had. I'm thinking I may go with the Leo Vinci, 94DB and you can pull the plug out if noise isn't an issue :thumbsup:

Just a heads up on the 06 YFZ, there are 2 bolts that come lose behind the starter gear, I'd pull the cover and check them. This is a picture of mine backed halfway out...

000_1681.jpg

Here's a picture of my 06, beleive it or not, I picked it up used with less than 5 hours on it

000_1685.jpg

nice but its still a quad :ride:

have you guys seen the 07 yamaha 250fs and 450s in white there so sweet :thumbsup: almost makes me want to leave honda for a yamaha, but cant see me doing that.

I might have to take a look at that YFZ439. Nice YFZ, (really clean too) but whats up with the lack of heelguards? Youre a braver person than I am to run without heelguards!

Mjrider, if I could afford to trade it in on a 250F tomorrow I would, but thats not going to happen right now. Im personally not a fan of the white. :thumbsup: My riding gear is all blue, so unless I can get some cool retro color scheme its gotta be blue.