Sign in to follow this  

'89 500 erratic spark????

Hey I need some help on this one. Got a 89 CR500 and its sparking kinda weird. I tested the CDI, pulse generator, and coil and theyre all within spec acording to my multimeter and clymer. Got a new NGK br8eix. when it does spark, its good but sometimes it will and sometimes it wont. Any ideas?

Hey I need some help on this one. Got a 89 CR500 and its sparking kinda weird. I tested the CDI, pulse generator, and coil and theyre all within spec acording to my multimeter and clymer. Got a new NGK br8eix. when it does spark, its good but sometimes it will and sometimes it wont. Any ideas?

Maybe rust on magnets (Flywheel)?

Bad connection from CDI?

I always open up my connections and spray with electrical silicone every 6mo.

Bad Plug Wire?

If you can Start bike at night in good dark place and watch for arcing.

Having same problem on my NX250, haven't bothered with it, so if you find something let me know. Thanks

:thumbsup:

As Still_Kickin said and you've probably already checked this if tested the CDI; the connections will often build up corrosion. My '87 is bad about this and I clean the plug ends off with emery cloth. On the recepticle, I use a pointed probe to scrape the inside. Have also had problems with rust on the flywheel magnets as well. One other thing, check your gound connections to make sure there's no corrosion between them and the frame. Check where the coil mounts to the frame and there's a ground wire that terminates under one of the bolts where the coil mounts.

My 88 did that same thing. The stator actually measured within spec but it was still bad. I put a new Rickystator part on there and it was a completely different bike. It felt like I just did a top end on the thing or something. Most of the time when the CDI's go bad they'll do one of two things; they get hot and quit, or just quit altogether.