Sign in to follow this  

Carb drain screw replacement - socket?

Hey all-

The head of the float bowl drain screw on my 2005 S (CA) is completely destroyed.

I now see... after doing some searching... that the head of this screw is not in fact phillips... and is JIS... thus the stripping.

I see that the standard recommendation around here is to replace the other JIS bolts on the carb with stainless socket headed bolts.

Is this possible/advisable for the drain screw as well? I ask because it's more than just a standard bolt - it has sort of a beveled/flanged end on the side that goes all the way into the carb.

Thoughts? I'd prefer not to get a replacement stock screw - as I'm sure I'll screw that one up again as well.

I went to the hardware store to to find a replacement and just test/try it myself - but couldn't find an M6 .75 pitch (?) bolt.... seems somewhat rare... but I'm sure I can find at a better fastener store.

thx!

I just cut a slot in mine, and used a flat blade screwdriver.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Me too, used a thin hacksaw blade to cut the slot. Works great. You can also hammer on the head of the screw a bit to flatten it out from the strip damage, and slightly "work harden" it. Never heard of that? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_hardening