Sign in to follow this  

Got my first ticket :cry:

Well it was bound to happen :applause:. I waited all day for the heavy rain to stop. It was just sprinkling when I left :applause:. I am very limited to off roading. I typically have to ride at least twenty miles down gravel roads to get away from residential 25mph speed limits :applause: :applause: :applause:. I'm always looking for power lines that have trails and hills. I took another different route today and bingo, I spotted one only about 5 miles from home :thumbsup:. Turned around and squeezed through a couple of poles and dropped in. Was very excited to see a hill about a half of a mile down a single track. I saw a grass trail to the right and a dirt hill to the left :prof:. I thought, not to tough. Well the gravel, dirt, sand trail was so soft I didn't have enough speed and about 3/4 of the way up I buried the ass end up to the swing arm :applause:. Stuck in a pit. Much pulling, rocking, pulling, rocking, rolled it to one side, kicked dirt in the hole, rolled it to the other side, kicked dirt in the hole. Very stuck (love that magic start button!). Looked over my shoulder, sweating like a pig, huffing and puffing and saw a pick-up truck at the road where I first came in. Low and behold a little fat guy was running like the dickens down the trail I just came in on :applause: . Grabbed onto the bike with super human strength (not!) and tried to rip it out. No luck. Sat down, pulled my helmet and gloves off and waited for the dude. When he reached the bottom of the hill I called down to him and asked if he was going to yell at me. Much to my surprise he said no. He climbed the hill and asked how old the bike was and said it was a beauty (covered in mud). We talked for a while and he told me that there was nowhere within 175 miles that I could legally drive off road :applause: . So much for all my places I've already found this summer. He took my license and told me when I get my bike out to meet him and his truck at the road. After much more work I finally got the bike turned around and met him out at the truck. He said he could have issued me a litany of tickets but that being off road where it is clearly marked no motor vehicles is the ticket of his choice (no points). In all the excitement I never saw the sign. Said I was a nice enough sort for waiting for him and that he was glad I didn't run. Still issued the ticket though. Won't know until Monday when I call how much it will set me back :applause: . I have a bet with my roommate that it will be a minimum of $150...The money is bad enough but the worst part is I've lost all my off roading that I painstakingly searched for all summer :applause::thumbsdn:. Oh well, I still have my gravel roads :ride::applause::applause:.

First welcome the "Mad House"

Bummer about the ticket, sounds worse than over here.

I am sure that someone will chime in and tell you where you can go legally.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

Wow, Michigan and no place to ride off-road? That really stinks! Don't feel too bad though. I had a nieghbor call the police because I started my bike IN MY GARAGE (door was open). The officer just laughed it off when he arrived because it was 4 in the afternoon! after about an hour of talking dirt bikes he laughed again and left. People are strange I guess

That bites. :ride: I can ride out my door into a trail and there are literaly thousands of sq miles of roads and trails :thumbsup:

Where in Mich. are you? You can't be in the top third, nothing but trails up there, especialy if it's plated!

PRDRZ,

I have to load the bike in the pick-up and drive 1 hour each way just to find any decent riding near my house. Where in BC do you live? I'm quitting my job and moving into your neighbourhood ASAP!

Where in Mich. are you? You can't be in the top third, nothing but trails up there, especialy if it's plated!

Tri-county area :ride:. Lots of places to ride in the upper 2/3 of the state :thumbsup: . It's just when I want to ride around home. Don't care much for the traffic on the main roads :applause:.

Tri-county area :ride:. Lots of places to ride in the upper 2/3 of the state :thumbsup: . It's just when I want to ride around home. Don't care much for the traffic on the main roads :applause:.

As in Branch County?

Out in iowa, it seems much of the high tension power lines cross private property. Some of those farmers get really touchy about their fence lines. Could have been worse, i guess.

I make good use of the local class b dirt roads. And knowing a few people with non-arable acres on their farm property provides more opportunities. Outside of that, the trailer has been a good purchase.

Did a sheriff give you a ticket or a citizen?

It was a conservation officer :thumbsup:. Around here, they have more power than officers of the law...

It was a conservation officer :thumbsup:. Around here, they have more power than officers of the law...

One of them tried to get me and a few buddies.... We ride in areas just like you described, but stay away form the open areas. The cops always come but we are all plated and the trails are mostly too tight for trucks so there is not way to find us. Anyway, we were at a local deli, bikes parked, having a sandwich, all of us were covered in mud. He started yelling at us. I said something like "its really wet on fresh ponds road...." He asked for my license and registration I gave him them and asked am I getting a ticket. He said yes.... After about 15 minutes in his truck came out with a warning (verbal) I guess you can't give out tickets for being dirty....

It was stupid to say what I did and if he ever find me in the trails I will be dead...

My point is, if you have to ride in areas that do not have legal trails - don't. But if you choose to do so make sure your bike blends in and your in tree cover and/or know the fastest way out...

Sucks you got caught man, sounds like just a fine.

Still can't believe that he didn't help you get the bike out.... :ride:

Damn never heard of them. Thank GOD we dont have them officers down here. The local jail would be booked full 24/7.. Maybe thats like a forest ranger or BLM ranger?

Damn never heard of them. Thank GOD we dont have them officers down here. The local jail would be booked full 24/7.. Maybe thats like a forest ranger or BLM ranger?

Yes, same thing. We have both in Central NJ....

Makes me feel lucky to live in Colorado. I find new places to ride all the time and the cops don't seem to bother anyone.

PRDRZ,

I have to load the bike in the pick-up and drive 1 hour each way just to find any decent riding near my house. Where in BC do you live? I'm quitting my job and moving into your neighbourhood ASAP!

Vancouver Island is where it's at. Trails as far as the eye can see and most of them I can get to from my door. But I'm also plated so I ride a few about 20Km away as well.

Grant