Striped out cam holders

Here is my dilemma O5 crf250 we striped out the top off the cam holder were the valve cover bolts on to. - don't ask how- but it happened. Honda tells me they do not service that part separate I would have to buy the whole head.

Has anyone had the problem and if so were you able to buy just the cam holder cap by it's self. The part I am talking about is the actual horse shoe shaped cover that you bolt to the head and hold the cam in place.

Hold on there tiger..I may actually have what your looking for. I just got an 07 head...and it came with new cam holders..so when I put it together I'll have the one's off my 04 head..if that helps you out..Let me know..

As nice of a gesture as this is, I think it's a bad idea. There is a reason why the head is machined as cast as one piece. Just my take on it.

As for the fix, I had helicoils put in mine for the same problem. My cheap torque wrench aparently doesn't read well at 10 ftlbs and I stripped one so I had both done. They feel WAY more solid when I tighten down the valve cover now. Now I do it by feel, skip the torque wrench and just remember that it really only needs to keep the oil in.

As nice of a gesture as this is, I think it's a bad idea. There is a reason why the head is machined as cast as one piece. Just my take on it.

As for the fix, I had helicoils put in mine for the same problem. My cheap torque wrench aparently doesn't read well at 10 ftlbs and I stripped one so I had both done. They feel WAY more solid when I tighten down the valve cover now. Now I do it by feel, skip the torque wrench and just remember that it really only needs to keep the oil in.

That certainly may explain why honda doesn't sell it separate.

I will try the heli-coil -I was just bummed that i couldn't buy that piece separate. I tried the caps off my 06 and it seemed to work fine. Maybe Honda will eventually service the caps separately if others keep having the same problem.