Sign in to follow this  

Got to fix fork leg cover, Guys

Everything on my 06 YZ250 is good,but I do have a problem with seal savers on my forks. Have put 2 sets on the bike and both of the left hand frk cover continues to rub a hole in the elastic foam on the inside. Has anyone fixed this problem with the seal savers, they do work if you can keep dirt from under them. But I have given up untill more ideas get released. PC racing has been nice enough to replace the first pair of covers, but I don't think they are going to do it again. SureBlue on the Yami 450 forum has same problem, come on guys we have a 100% fix/repair rate, when we put our collective brains together. :thumbsup: The seal save has only 3 rides on them ,on the lh side, the rh seal saver gets may be 6 before wear-thru. If you have or will put seal savers on your 06 or 07, and want them to last, lets figure out a fix! :ride:

will send pix of fork guard on next post

I will responding to questions as fast as possible.

107bdec3.jpg

Hear is what the fork "guide" is doing against the inside of fork guard also, cant seem to get it straight so that it doesn't rub on each other. This is why fork savers don't stay long on my forks :ride::applause::thumbsup:

aug27513.jpg

aug27514.jpg

2006 YZ250V

2003 YZ450F (parting out)

take them off and use a heat gun or a hair dryer to heat them and spread them out. Worked for me.

Sorry Satch, already tried that, it worked for a little while but went back to natural conture, You know Bunches, would you recommend cutting most of the inside of the guard off so it doesn't even hit the fork guide at all, or would this unprotect the fork chrome too much? :thumbsup:

honestly...it is not a problem for me. But I am not running seal savers and at approx 60-70hrs ...I am still on the original seals.

I would ask this...what kind of riding/terrain to you normally use the bike for?

wait a minute...I may be on to something. It appears that you only have the problem with the left guard....being pulled to the outside....correct?

Maybe its the hokey brake line holder Yamaha uses....the curvature of the blasted thing would make it pull the guard to the outside....maybe?

The reason I ask is that I ditched that thing when I bought my bike and run the Dr D brake line clamp.

You can see the "straight" clamp in this pic...

050306-01.jpg

MX practice and race only, have a lot of sand at my home track that I practice at, tired of cleaning fork seal cover, after every ride to get sand out, fork savers help when not worn out. You may have an idea about cable holder, it does seam to twist guard ,pulling guard around making inner part of guard hit on inside of fork guide plastic. Who makes yours, may be the only think I haven't tried. Thanx.

:thumbsup: