Sign in to follow this  

Need To ask a quick question

Hey i have a 2002 klx 300R and it is making a clicking/knocking noise and it is running fine no loss of power, and starts right up. I was wondering if anyone here thinks that it would be anything to worry about or if there is something i check. thanks for the feedback

-Chris

If it sounds like a sewing machine at low to mid RPM's.. it is normal for the KLX after they wear in. Check your cam chain tension, valve clearances, and if all is well, just ride. A 50W oil does quite it down some. :thumbsup:

Try an oil change

I have an '06 klx 300, with about 500 miles on it. It starts great and runs even better, I just started to notice a knocking/rattle at idle, it didn't sound right to me, so i took it in to the dealer, they checked it out and said everything is fine; Ride it.

I did come home and change the oil, and it made a noticeable difference in the sound, quieted down a lot. it had been 300 miles since oil change, I think i will change it every 100 to 200 miles.

Good luck Have fun :thumbsup:

With OHC shim under bucket motors, you should have a little clicking, it's the cam lobes taking up the valve lash and the valves re-seating when they close. The time you get worried and you know your valves need to be adjusted is when the bike makes no clicking from the top end. I use Castrol Actevo four stroke synthetic, and it quites things right up, and it has never made the clutch on my KLX slip. Really good stuff. Don't worry about your cam chain, it's an auto adjuster. Everything should be cool, but if it begins to amplify in noise, then you may want to have it checked out by a cert'd tech. Just try some heavier oil and do regular oil changes, every 6 to ten hours, and let us know how that works for ya.

I mentioned the cam chain check because the auto adjuster has limits and if the chain stretches enough, then it becomes an issue.

A good 20W - 50W oil will make a big difference. Try the Mobil 1 V Twin synthetic. It's great oil.