Sign in to follow this  

Engine just starting to sieze?

My son was racing last nignt and in the middle of the first moto he said the bike started to slow down and loose power. He thought it was overheating so he shut it down and pushed it off the track. Back it the pits it would not start and felt rough when kicking over. Later on in the evening when I gave it kick and it started then died riight away then felt real hard to kick. Feels like the main bearing was siezing. The bike did not seem hot when he came in. If I need to replace the crank what special tools will I need. I will take it apart tomorrow morning. Just checking if anyone has had this problem and what I might be in for. The bike is an 2005 CRF250R

Thanks in advance

The symptoms sound like the engine oil level was low. If so, you're in for a lot......

I just finished rebuilding my X so it is fresh in my mind. The puller is a must, but all the other tools aren't. I used an air impact wrench for all the tough bolts that move, like the flywheel bolt, and two gear bolts on the clutch side. I also put a piece of aluminum between gears to freeze the engine to tighten the bolts. I couldn't do this on the flywheel, so I just blipped it 3 times with the impact wrench.

dude a shop will pull that flywheel off for free..i did my bike when the rod bearing went. it was pretty easy and im 16

Just drained the oil and pulled the filter. Looks like the rod bearing went. Lots of bearing material in the filter. It was time, this is his practice bike has already had 2 pistons and 1 valve job, many hours. I have a flywheel puller do I need any special tools to split the cases. Doing the work myself is no problem. I put in quite few crankshafts when he was racing 85's. This will be my first on the crf.

im not sue, but when i split the case on my cr i had to use a case puller, that evenly pulled the case apart, i dont know if thats the case on the crf, but just fyi

I'm dealing with the same issue right now ( a sized rod bearing) on a buddy's bike. Let me know where you get the best prices for a crank. I'm going to see what Service Honda wants for them.

If anyone has one for sale or know where to get the best prices on them please let me know.

Txs,

PT

I'm dealing with the same issue right now ( a sized rod bearing) on a buddy's bike. Let me know where you get the best prices for a crank. I'm going to see what Service Honda wants for them.

If anyone has one for sale or know where to get the best prices on them please let me know.

Txs,

PT

tt oem and crotchrocket.com

Just drained the oil and pulled the filter. Looks like the rod bearing went. Lots of bearing material in the filter. It was time, this is his practice bike has already had 2 pistons and 1 valve job, many hours. I have a flywheel puller do I need any special tools to split the cases. Doing the work myself is no problem. I put in quite few crankshafts when he was racing 85's. This will be my first on the crf.

The only special tool you'll need is the flywheel puller. Once you get all the bolts out the cases practically fall apart. Remember to remove the trans drain plug before splitting the case, it holds the cases together.

its a breeze..my bearing went 2 months ago. cyl,165,crank,160,piston,43,rings,24,cam chain,30,crank bearings, roughly 40 including seals and screws. and gaskets.. all from service honda//. o and i had to dremel my cases down and polish them because of shrapnel sticking between crank and cases

If you have metal parts in the filter, than replace the bearings on the engine side while the case is split apart (better safe than sorry). The case is easy to split with the bolts removed. You will find a copper washer either in the waterpump shaft recess, or in the bottom of the case. This is to help you figure out where it goes. Put the case half in the oven for 20 minutes at 250 deg F. The bearings will be much easier to press out then. Put the replacement bearings in the freezer (1 hour) and drive them in while the case is still hot. I used an impact wrench socket for a driver and a dead blow hammer. Buy the kit gasket sets from Service Honda. All the gaskets are in both sets, so no need to buy them separate. 06115-KRN-700 (gasket sheet kit :thumbsup: and 06113-KSC-700 (Gasket sheet kit A), both R model kits if memory serves me.

If you have metal parts in the filter, than replace the bearings on the engine side while the case is split apart (better safe than sorry). The case is easy to split with the bolts removed. You will find a copper washer either in the waterpump shaft recess, or in the bottom of the case. This is to help you figure out where it goes. Put the case half in the oven for 20 minutes at 250 deg F. The bearings will be much easier to press out then. Put the replacement bearings in the freezer (1 hour) and drive them in while the case is still hot. I used an impact wrench socket for a driver and a dead blow hammer. Buy the kit gasket sets from Service Honda. All the gaskets are in both sets, so no need to buy them separate. 06115-KRN-700 (gasket sheet kit :thumbsup: and 06113-KSC-700 (Gasket sheet kit A), both R model kits if memory serves me.

Quick question, what did you use to pull the bearings? and where did you get it? thanks

Quick question, what did you use to pull the bearings? and where did you get it? thanks

The crankshaft bearings are easily accessible from both sides, so I used said impact socket and a deadblow hammer. One bearing is blind, and I just left it in.