Sign in to follow this  

Montana trails

Hey I just took my new KTM 300xc-w out for the first ride. I love this bike! It has tons of power everywhere and has a great suspension.

I took it up in the Langhor trail area. My friend who rides a 500cc atv got in some good fun miles.

Anyways for those of you who ride in the Bozeman area I am new here and was wondering where some good trails are. I bought the forest service map, but it sucks and nothing is marked around here.

I am planning trips to both porcupine, near big sky, and pipestone, butte area, but would like to ride somewhere closer to home.

Thanks for the help

Try this for some ideas:

http://www.gallatindesign.com/websites/gvtrails/hyalitecreek.html

This is from another board but shows what the Hyalite area looks like:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161892

Hubby and I are hoping to hit that one next season when the budget is healthier.

We just rode a similar type area up at Sun River Canyon last weekend but is was just a single day ride.Loved it tho.

bozeman sucks for dirtbike riding. Head down to the bmc in billings or to the badlands in wyoming. Much better terrain, and more area to ride.

No that is all there is to ride in the bozeman area. You have a track, raidersburg an hour away, and pipestone 2 hours away.

I did ride at pipestone this weekend and had a blast. I am going to ride some of the single track around here with some friends, but my buddy with an atv is having trouble finding somewhere still. Thanks for the help, any more would be appreciated

Live in bozeman about ten years ago, can you not go up bear canyon anymore? That used to be a prety fun set of trails. There was more trails up there than one might think.. Roode up there almost every day for two year when I was in school.

Right now I think all of Gallatin NF is closed becasue of the fire danger up here. I think the Bridgers might be closed also. There is so much smoke from fires up here it SUCKS!!!

JV DR, me and a crew are heading up Bear Canyon Sunday 17th of Sept. PM me if you want to go. Me and a few cats I know some from MSU some not, are going to rip it up there that afternoon.

Don't listen to Nevakee there is good riding around Bozeman, Pipestone is super trail riding and you can run that as quick as you want and have a ball. A guy or crew could camp up there and burn up a weekend easily. One can ride up by Homestake pass as well with is just up the road and if you are resorcefull enough can get up to "Our Lady of the Rockies" above Butte as well.

Give me a ring and I'm sure you can have fun.

JD

Joe Dizzle, you might want to give a call to the forest service before heading up. Yesterday we got skunked down at the Porcupine Trail Head near Big Sky. Due to the Stage 2 fire restrictions, no internal combustion engines are allowed between 1:00pm and 1:00am. We were there at 12:55, damn. I called the Bozeman ranger station just to verify and was informed that the signage was correct. You may be ok in the morning, but I did just come accross the following pdf issued on sept 8th regarding complete closure to certain trails around Bear Canyon and Hyalite.

Here's the link:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/gallatin/news/releases/2006/nr_bozeman_watershed_closure_09-08-2006.pdf

Sounds like the Tobacco roots are open if anyone likes single track with tight switchbacks. Also, Pipestone might still be open, but I haven't been there since June and MAN was it dusty. I can't imagine it now.

If anyone hears more info about the restrictions post it up.

Garrett