Sign in to follow this  

Hard to start when its cold

My 06 450 has all of the sudden become hard to start when its cold :thumbsup: I've got maybe 3 hours on it since the valves were checked (shop said they were great) I've used the same starting sequence every time (it has worked with this bike from day one) and made sure the air filter was NOT over oiled. The only recent change I've made is running straight race gas because its been pretty hot here. After I get it started, I runs just fine and restarts with one kick. Can anyone help............ :ride:

-DG636

I have found that draining the Carb makes a difference- as long as your valves are OK - I have assumed that a bit of water in the float bowl from pressure washing can cause hard starting when very cold...

When the valves go out of spec it happens all at once. So they may have checked them and they were good, then 2-3 rides later they went out? But cold starting problems are usually valve related. Unless your fuel screw fell out, or moved drasticly. Which usually happens only to aftermarket screws.

I`d say the same. Check your valves again to be sure. Pull the valve cover,and do it your self, easy job to do. Recheck your fuel screw too,that may be all you have to do. If it is it lean it will start hard too. (the fuel screw). One think i have to do when its cold is turn the throttle 2or 3 time be for it will start, sometimes more then that. If you turn your fuel off you over nigth defiantly have to turn the throttle 2to 3 times.

Definetly valves in my opinion. It always seems to do that....one ride it's great then the next your kicking your butt off and nothing. Get em checked at least

Definetly valves in my opinion. It always seems to do that....one ride it's great then the next your kicking your butt off and nothing. Get em checked at least

Yea, mine ran great for alomst 2 years then yesterday i could not get it to start. took about 25 or 30 kicks before i finally got it fired. It then poofed some black smoked when i reved it. Mind you the bike had been sitting for over a month. So i said screw it and did my ride anyway. got home later let it cool down and checked valves. .004 intakes.. i threw it all together and it fired right up first kick. I think she was just mad at me for letting her sit a month? :thumbsup:

Well, 3 out of the 4 valves were on the tight-side of spec. Now they're on the loose side and it starts with one kick (even with a flip-flop on)

Thanks for all of your input.

Dg636

I have found that draining the Carb makes a difference- as long as your valves are OK - I have assumed that a bit of water in the float bowl from pressure washing can cause hard starting when very cold...
If you don't plan to clean the filter afterwards, you should use some duct tape to cover up the four holes in the side panels so you don't get the filter wet while you're washing the bike.