Sign in to follow this  

braking while standing?

i have a new problem. normally i dont brake or shift too much while im standing but i was riding today and i had to do it more than i normally do. the only thing is that when im standing and i have to brake because im going into a corner, i dont feel comfortable, i feel unstable. i dont really know what im doing wrong if it's just my body positioning? can someone please give me some advice?

I had a MX lesson with a factory honda rider about 2 months ago and he taught me to use the front brake while standing up, but only use it in a straight line. He did'nt even tell me to use the back, but I guess he knows what he is on about. Elbows up. Lean back. etc

Brake only while going in a straight line. Standing is a good technique and allows you to absorb the braking bumps. As soon as you hit the turn, sit and get back on the gas. Carry as much speed into the turn as you dare and try to accelerate out of the turn as much as you feel safe. W/ time, you will get faster.

Remember to get your weight forward on the bike, elbows up and inside leg out by the front axle. Once on the gas, do NOT let off. If the turn has a rut you can drag the front brake slightly. As you exit the turn, let your body get back into the middle of the bike and look well out in front of you. :thumbsup:

When I'm standing getting my braking done I squeeze the bike with my legs. This keeps me more in control when the bike is going over the braking bumps.

Its easier to brake while standing if your leaning back, not extremely far back, but the correct amount while braking for a corner.

Brake only while going in a straight line.

when did this become a rule? or is it just a tip until he is more experienced.

the only way to get better a braking while standing is to practice alot. it shouldnt be something u do cuz u have to. u should want to because most the time it is the better way to brake.

He is a beginner so I gave him some basic advice to master before he learns more advanced techniques.

Acutally if you watch the pros, they next to never use a brake while turning. They do all the braking before the turn, then accel through and out. So it is a good thing to learn. He won't start any bad, slow habbits. :thumbsup:

cj-S4...............I got the feeling that 723 was talking about brake slides and other advanced moves. :thumbsup:

no not brake slides but I usually try to come in at a slight angle so that I am actually partially done with the turn or in the process of turning way before it begins. I have some footage of carmichael doing this and thats kind of what I was taught so I dont slow down too much but when i do do that I dont use enough rear brake to lock up and slide.