450 Vs 525

okay, I currently ride a CRF250x, which is bored and stroked to 307. I am 5'10 and weight 250lbs. I ride lots of two track trails and some tighter single track, but mainly quad style trails, lots of hills. I personally have a habit of shortshifting, using mainly the low end torque, not that I do not hit the throttle but I mainly use the low end.

I am buying a 2007 in order to get the liscence plate, I originally put a deposit on a 450, but I could still change to a 525. I originally thought that the 525 would be too tiering to ride, but taking into account that I do ride mainly in the low RPMs, would I be better off with the 525?

I bought a 525 because of a friends recommendation, and have nothing but good things to say about it. My friend owns a 400 and a 450, but will be getting the 525 next ( especially after riding mine ), which says a lot. We're both just over 200 pounds, so the extra torque is nice. There is NOTHING abrupt about the power delivery at lower R's, so I don't see how it could be more tiring for a trail rider. Racing is a different story. Logically speaking, if you're looking to avoid the mid-range hit while trail riding, I think having a bigger source of low end torque actually helps to keep the bike in control because it's easier to avoid the mid-range power. And when the trail finally opens up, the top end power is an addicting kick in the ass !

You can't go wrong with either bike for trail riding, however, the 525 will be better for log jumping and you won't be forever trying to make it faster. I like my 450 EXC, but I seem to spend a lot of time and money trying to make it more responsive.

I was having a long-winded arguement with a friend of mine about my FJR 1300. He insisted that a sport-touring bike did not need that much horsepower. I argued that since it handled the touring end just fine, the extra horsepower was just a bonus. A third friend finally interjected with the timeless question " did you ever wish you had a smaller dick ? ".

One thing that you also have to keep aware of is the rotating mass of the 525's. Is the tourque and power nice YES! The rotating mass can get you tired after awhile of riding. A short stroke motor will make you tired less and is more snappy. You have to decide on what's more important, snap and power or tourque and power. Both have their benifits. IF you are going to turn laps? Then get a 450 or 525 SX and add the 5th and 6th gear and starter (which is a VERY potent bike) or you can get a MXC/EXC and have a awesome trail bike. Either way you cant go wrong with a KTM. Ask any owner who is into riding and had a Jap bike............

At least everyone agrees that a KTM is the right choice. Let's add the rider's weight into their vote and see what we get. My friend and myself cast 2 votes for the 525. We're just over 200 lbs each, and don't do much ( organized ) racing. Where do the 450 voters weigh in at ?

And just for fun, kinetic energy = 1/2 mass x velocity squared. Double the weight, double the energy; double the velocity, quadruple the energy. The math says that a larger motor turning slower should have less inertia.

Then again, if the moon is in line with Saturn....................

Where do the 450 voters weigh in at ?

And just for fun, kinetic energy = 1/2 mass x velocity squared. Double the weight, double the energy; double the velocity, quadruple the energy. The math says that a larger motor turning slower should have less inertia.

Then again, if the moon is in line with Saturn....................

I've never ridden the 525, but I've been behind guys that do. I'm 205lbs. When I get on the gas on the 450, it picks the line for me. I just have to hang on. I've ridden my buddies 250x, and I could slice and dice the trail as I please. The 450 feels like a big motor, and I'd expect the 525 to feel bigger. I think you'd just have to accept how the larger motor is going to make the bike handle. Especially coming off a over sized 250x. The 250x made me feel like I was part of the bike almost immediately. The 450 makes me feel like I'm along for the ride. I'd like to have both. Lucky.

I'm new to the 450 and to the KTM game but within 4 rides I'm 10 times faster on the 03'450sx. I rode an XR250(still have Dualsported it). I could and can wear it out in the tight gnarly woods but anything wider than goat trails would have me begging for more power. With the 450sx I just point and twist and hold on.

It is just like the 250 except on crack! It is only a 4 speed but it will ride a wheelie in every gear. It keeps the grins coming. The 450 is the same weight as the XR but I don't notice it because of the power increase. I just need people to ride with. Seriously, and not braggingly almost everyone that I've rode with lately is super pokin'(slow). except some guys from Knoxville, I don't mind to wait a little on someone but it gets old. The 450sx doesn't like to lugg, I assume because of the limited(seemingly no-existant) flywheel weight. It rides very much like a 250 two-stroke. I'm curious to how the exc are but, I rode with two gents with 400exc and the were complimenting how my just seemed to be more responsive. At first, I was discouraged about getting an SX, I heard people bickering,crying,and complaining. I've heard this and that about how I should have gotten and exc so I wouldn't have to put flywheel weights and a bigger tank. I think I made the right choice. I see no need in more power just more control.(experience) Sorry for the novel. Get what you want not what everyone else wants you too. Advice is optional. ?

250lbs. mainly quad style trails, lots of hills. Using mainly the low end torque,

525 DEFINITELY. This bike loves to crawl up hills at just above idle.

If you were doing more tight woods riding I would say 450, but for what you describe you will love the 525. And when you take it out on some fire roads - yehaw!

Throttle control is critical for slow speed, tight riding on the 525, and you may want to invest in a slower cammed-throttle tube. Also you may want to gear down. I went down one tooth on the CS and could not be happier.

John Davies

Spokane WA

'05 525EXC

I've never ridden the 525, but I've been behind guys that do.

You make a good point about the 525's ! !

Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope you know it's all in good fun. But as jimi said before, the difference between the 450 and 525 is just the cylinder and piston. They share the same crank, balancer, connecting rod and length of stroke. Since the motors don't shake like a paint mixer, the pistons must also be about the same weight. Therefore there is NO difference in inertia between the 450EXC and 525EXC. The extra grunt is all that you feel.

Now if you're talking about the shorter stroke 400, or the 250's, that's a different story.

You make a good point about the 525's ! !

Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope you know it's all in good fun. But as jimi said before, the difference between the 450 and 525 is just the cylinder and piston. They share the same crank, balancer, connecting rod and length of stroke. Since the motors don't shake like a paint mixer, the pistons must also be about the same weight. Therefore there is NO difference in inertia between the 450EXC and 525EXC. The extra grunt is all that you feel.

Now if you're talking about the shorter stroke 400, or the 250's, that's a different story.

No offense taken. That's good information. I think I'll be making mine a 525 when I think I'm ready.