Sign in to follow this  

Tire pressure?

What kind of tire pressure are you guys running on 17" rims for street use? I have been running around 23-25psi in both tires. :thumbsup:

I have been running 19 rear and 18 front on Dunlops for months now.

Once you get used to the heavier feel of running the front lower than you would expect, the handling benefits far outweight the added effort to get the bike turned.

Dont get me wrong, we are talking about a VERY SLIGHT difference in feel between 19 and say 23-25 lbs.

Plus after an hour of being a hooligan the tires feel like they are at the temp they should be at for maximum grip.

Try it youll be glad you did. :thumbsup:

For street I think I'd be running up closer to 30-30 to help with tire life. But if you're seriously canyon carving then I'd drop it to 24'ish. 19 sounds a bit low but it would definetly warm up the tires in a hurry. I'd be worried about them feeling TOO squishy and almost rolling off the rims at that pressure.

I am not worried about tire life as much as the tires wanting to roll/squirm out from under me in a hard turn.The low to mid 20's have been working for me, I am just wondering what everyone else is running.

I am not worried about tire life as much as the tires wanting to roll/squirm out from under me in a hard turn.The low to mid 20's have been working for me, I am just wondering what everyone else is running.

Well, I run 18 rear 19 front at the track and on the street, and I have never ever felt the tire move around or feel "squishy", I used to run 30 (about 4 years ago) and had no front end feel.

Trust me, you cant push the bike hard enough on the street or canyon to roll the tire off the bead at 19-20 lbs, it aint gonna happen.

Well, I'll give it a try Scream. I'll sneak down to it and see how it works out.

19psi it is. Do I have to worry about pinch flats with that little of pressure(like, from sidewalk hopping, etc...)?

19psi it is. Do I have to worry about pinch flats with that little of pressure(like, from sidewalk hopping, etc...)?

Well that is a different story.

I would suggest that if you run your tires that low then you avoid (at all costs) giant potholes, curbs and the occasional 4x4 post or trailer hitch, or bumper that may be lying around in the road as you may bend a rim if you hit one of them.

But then again, you should try to avoid those obstacles anyway right? :thumbsup::ride:

I personally have never had a pinch flat.

ALSO, these pressures I am running are on DUNLOP DOT's as well as DUNLOP Full race slicks.

I have no idea how that pressure will work on Michelins, Pirellis', Maxis or Bridgestones.

I have used all of those other tires but that was a year or so ago when I had not yet discovered the amount of grip at the low pressures I am running now on the Dunlops.

I agree with the "sneak down on it" method for obtaining the best pressures for your application.

These pressures are what works BEST for ME.

One last thing, You will be AMAZED at how little deflection on rough pavement you experience with the lower pressure.

Nothing like dragging a peg at 40 around a hairpin on Latigo and having your arse pucker into nothingness when your front tire starts to bounce across the washboards that exist, especially since the other option is a sudden introduction to a guard rail or a tree at the opposite end of the turn.

That almost ALL dissapears at these pressures in my humble opinion as they say.. :applause: YMMV.