Husky or KTM ?.....

New to TT...

I am interested in getting a Husky WR250 or a KTM 200EXC next yet for hare scrambles and trail riding. I do want to stay in the two stroke family (...hopefully lower maintenance)...I have owned two KX's before, 125/250 and primarily used them for trail riding....I'm by no means an MX'r but I do like to ride fast in the tight technical bits....

I have ridden a KDX 220R and the size was good for me ( 5'9 170lbs) but the power to be a little on the soft side at the top end. Also I have ridden a KTM 525 EXC 4 stroker, lotsa power but definitely a bigger rider's bike. I'd like to find a good balance of a light bike with GOOD power....

I was thinking of an '07 WR250 but I'm not quite sold on the new wave of 4-strokes for their reliability... (maybe I am wrong to believe this..)

Any views would be greatly appreciated...positives and negatives on both would help me for my decision in the spring ...

Thanks

(steering towards the Husky....)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I have to also ask this question, I did use my KX's for trail riding and didn't find them at all "unsettled" in the technical bits......

Does anyone use their MX bikes in the hare scrambles ?... What would be a disadvantage of a MX vrs Enduro bike in the scrambles ?....

Thanks for your posts ....

Husky builds awesome bikes but the parts are expensive and hard to get. The |KTM parts are not much cheaper but the parts are much easier to get. Come to think of it that makes no sense, Cagiva owns both companies, why can you get one part but not the other. Some of the parts on my '93 Husky cross referenced to KTM but not all of them. KTM also builds a good bike, unless parts are easier to get in Canada than they are in California, I would go with pumpkin power. BTW, the GasGas is a very trick looking machine!

Most enduro bikes have softer suspension and smoother power delivery (see the DR write up on the '07 KTM's). I race a CRF450R in enduro's and really wish I had a wide ratio tranny, I am just waiting for the X to come out with fuel injection.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the husky for any other reason than it's a 4 stroke and i don't like them. The GasGas or the KTM 2 stroke would be the way to go. As far as an mx bike working in the trails, they work fine but you have to modify them. The new XC lineup from KTM is basically an sx with slightly softer suspension, a bigger tank and smoothed out power. I've done these things to my 250sx with suspension, flywheel but haven't added a bigger tank yet. I had a 200xc for 6 months and it was the best bike I have ridden. Dealer bought it back to me due to on going problem with the tranny. KTM has just gone through the trouble of making the bike trail/race worthy from the dealer and saving you money and having to do it yourself with the japanese bikes.

The husky I had in mind was the WR model, which is the 2-stroke model in Canada... I want to thank you for your post as you are the first individual that has said that they ever had a problem with their KTM ( also good to hear even though you had a problem you still very much enjoyed owning it.....)

ive been riding huskys for a long time and by far i think they kik ass! I ride a tc450 and we also have a 04 WR 250 2 stroke. I have to tell you that bike is awsome! It has a super powerful low to midrange power band and a pretty good top. It gear reations are spaced perfectly together and that bike, no matter in tight trails or wide open washes dominates. The suspension is good, but it needs to be tweeked in a little. Yes the parts are hard to come by but they break a lot less often then them hondas and yamahas ? You can get parts tho, just search the internet. I would get the husky over the ktm anyday, and people who have ridden the wr 250 love the way the bike is.

The only weak link I have found in the Husky composition on the web was an owner mentioned he had transmission problem due to a fastener in the clutch basket came away (...were of a riveted type) and found its way into the gearbox..... That was so far the only problem "I've" found.....

Anybody else find anything to be aware of ?.......

( remember, be gentle, I am still partial to the Husky.......)

Wow - "ride the clutch" - lots of interesting opinions you are getting.... I have had no problems getting parts for my 2006 husky, but then again a 1993 bike might be a very different story. How well does ktm support 13 yo bikes? I have no clue at all.

I would heavily weigh the transmission into account - if you are going to be in a narrower mph range then a "less wide" transmission might be of interest to you. Personally the # of gears does not matter as much to me as the spacing. And I do not know what the transmissions are on either of the 2 bikes you are looking at.

Both models are the six speed variety, (just updated... sorry, my mistake, the Husky is a 5-speed.....nightshift thing.....) both are 2-stroke, (Husky WR250 vs KTM 200EXC).....

I plan on putting either of these two machines on the road, only to get from one trail to another...no long distance hauls...

Does anyone know what their perspective top speeds would be ?.....

( hopefully they can both do 90-100km/hr no problem .... remember I am from the great white north... ie. 50-60 mph)

Thanks in advance..... all your replies have been very helpful as of so far.... TT forums are the best !!!!!.....