Riding while pregnant

I've been riding for almost 4 years and I love it. I am now pregnant (in my first trimester) and I am wondering how safe it is to ride while pregnant. I do mostly trail riding .....I was concerned that the bumpy downhills may be dangerous while pregnant. Any one have any experience or information on this???? THANKS!!!!!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has actually come up before...

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=331281&highlight=pregnant

Some thought it was ok if you were comfortable, while others thought otherwise... most thought it was something for you, your doctor & the father to decide.

Having not been in that situation myself, I'd say to ask your doctor, and do whatever he/she says! ?

Congratulations. I also just found out im pregnant. I broke my toe getting up off my couch becuase I am a clutz. If I can hurt my self walking I don't think I need to get on a bike. I race MX and have decided I will not be riding until after the baby is born. My opinion is track is safer than trails because if you know the track then you know the terrian. Plus with some trails you can go either way, then someone else could be the reason why you get hurt. It's only nine months why risk harming your baby. I know everyone has different opinions but this is my opinion. Best wishes in whatever you decide is best.

My friend rode her very large jumper horse until her fourth or fifth (?) month. At which point she became very uncomfortable and stopped riding. Everything ended up fine btw.

Everybody has an opinion on this. You are probably more likely to get in a car wreck but ya know. :ride:

The body protects the child and does a darn good job at it.

Some people are very cautious and limit their activities. Others feel fine and live their lives pretty much the same until they get too big to feel like doing much.

So, talk to your doc. Just remember to be sure to include some kind of physical fitness regimen if you aren't planning on riding anymore.

OH! and congratulations!!! ?

Ha ha!! I just re-read that previous thread!! I totally forgot about Jana falling out of the shower and getting wedged!!!!

Follow your gut!! I played soccer and basketball with my first three until I was 5 and 6 months pregnant. With my fourth, I had a feeling that I ought to take easy with that pregnancy and sure enough, he had implanted in the front instead of back of the uterus and the placenta was partially separated- bad news if I had been active.

Hey, my mom rode with my brother and I both while she was pregnant... she even rode with my older brother up into her 7th month of pregnancy! We are both fine, as far as I know... ?

My mom still to this day, 29 years later, teases me about how I used to ride on the bike in front of her through the pipelines ASLEEP! Haha!

Congrats!

I think it would be best to get a definition of "ride". Does it mean riding around camp or 5th gear pinned down whoops or tight twisty trails?

If it's just puttering around camp.....then have at it. If it means fully gearing up and going on a knarley ride through black diamond trails.....then I'd have to say you're an idiot for even thinking it would be ok.

So.....when you say "so and so rode until the 7th month".....be a little more specific on what you mean by "ride".

peace,

janette

So.....when you say "so and so rode until the 7th month".....be a little more specific on what you mean by "ride".

peace,

janette

Like I said in my previous post, my mom rode up into her 7th month with my bro through the pipelines... maybe not "knarly black diamonds" of cally, but not around "camp" either... That was back in the early 70's.... times and women have changed a lot since then... ?

Like I said in my previous post, my mom rode up into her 7th month with my bro through the pipelines... maybe not "knarly black diamonds" of cally, but not around "camp" either... That was back in the early 70's.... times and women have changed a lot since then... ?

I wasn't meaning you. But yes....with 4 and 7....I doubt mums was 6th gear pinned down miles of whoops. I would leave it up to someone's judgement and comfort for stuff like fire roads.

Full gear wearing ride around camp.....that's funny.

I "rode" nearly to the end of my last pregnancy on a quad or ATC. I bounce more in my truck, then on that quad. Never fast or crazy.....just puttered around.

But....I don't consider it a "ride"....or "riding".

Just a way of getting to the porta-john faster and with less effort then waddling.

peace,

janette

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the husband, who also happens to be a paramedic. When my wife had our last one {oh my god, 14 years ago} her doc told her she could ride as long as she felt comfortable with it, but to stay off the nasty stuff like jumps and such because he thought it "could" induce labor. On a funny side note, as the time got close, she still rode, that is until her water broke, 24 hours later our boy was born {full term} I still say we should have named him kay dee ex !

Congratulations. I also just found out im pregnant. I broke my toe getting up off my couch becuase I am a clutz. If I can hurt my self walking I don't think I need to get on a bike. I race MX and have decided I will not be riding until after the baby is born. My opinion is track is safer than trails because if you know the track then you know the terrian. Plus with some trails you can go either way, then someone else could be the reason why you get hurt. It's only nine months why risk harming your baby. I know everyone has different opinions but this is my opinion. Best wishes in whatever you decide is best.

I think that if you want to take a chance on something happening, then you are SELFISH. I don't care what you guys have to say about how I feel. I am the Alabama State Champion and I get Kawasaki and MSR contingency. I get paid 150.00 a win from Kawasaki and I won't be the fall champion. But that is a small price to pay to ensure that I will have a healthy baby and there are no chances I could have a miscarriage. Yes you are RISKING your babies LIFE. Is that something you really want to do. It is nine MONTHS of your life, for your baby to live 100 YEARS. This is coming from someone that has to attend a race every weekend because my husband still races. It's a hard thing to do but the joy of having a baby is much greater. That babies life depends on you it is sad you would want to be so selfish. Throw stones at me I don't care but my baby won't be dieing because I am selfish.