Sign in to follow this  

chains on these things are absolute JUNK

hey everybody

i was helping my brother adjust his chain last night, and teaching him all the simple "fixes" on his bike. chain, oil etc. well i got it done and adjusted to the proper amount. today im riding his bike around, and i can feel by the power delay (if you will) that his chain is really loose again. so i figured something stupid happened like i forgot to tighten the axle nut or something all the way..nope. its just a freakin rubber band. 15 mins of riding and its stretched waay out of spec.

whats a good chain thatll stand up to the torque of this bike. even on my modded 125 i dont have near the chain stretch that this bike has

We've not had any issueswith my son's chain on his 06. While he probably will go for an o-ring when it's time, the o-ring does rob power.

O rings dont last that long. They trap a lot of dirt in them and then get stiff. Just use a regular chain.

I run the EK MRDL chain. 2 years now on the same chain. Jason McCormick ran the same model chain on his 450 honda for 3 years before it needed replacement. They are cheap also, $40 something dealer

I don't really see why people get O-ring chains. Less maintenance?

Standard chains work just fine if you maintain them properly, it's not hard. :thumbsup:

O rings dont last that long. They trap a lot of dirt in them and then get stiff. Just use a regular chain.

I run the EK MRDL chain. 2 years now on the same chain. Jason McCormick ran the same model chain on his 450 honda for 3 years before it needed replacement. They are cheap also, $40 something dealer

Umm, I doubt that any pro rider has ran one chain for 3 years.

the guy who owned my bike before me bought this X ring chain. the thing is durable. I have had it a year and a half and its still not out of spec. i ride about 1-2 times a week. I dont beat the piss out of my bike but I am a B rider. Not sure where he got it or how much it costs. I am sure that there is more resistance with this big thing but it will last longer.

If you ride in water/mud conditions, an o-ring/x-ring chain with the built in lubrication will be best. My 02 stock DID o-ring chain is still going strong after 1000 miles :thumbsup: I swapped a new DID x-ring chain on to my 06 YZ250F without ever riding on the stock chain - DID o/x-ring chains are very good! :ride:

I know what you mean about those stock chains they do stretch like crazy. :thumbsup: but I got a DID ert 2 gold chain and it has hardly any stretch at all :ride:

My 02 stock DID o-ring chain is still going strong after 1000 miles :thumbsup:

I think I've got the same chain on my TT-R 250. 1600 miles and I've only had to adjust it once. Damn good for a stock chain if you ask me.

Umm, I doubt that any pro rider has ran one chain for 3 years.

Doubt me then. Call Dave Riggs up. He will tell you the same thing. He was Jays mechanic.

The MRDL do NOT use a chain breaker on it. You have to grind the rivets off first, then push it with a breaker. You will break the tool! Seen factory mechanics break their tools on this chain at the races.

I wouldn't use an O ring chain on a 250F but run a quality gold chain (non O ring). A good chain not only saves you adjusting time but will help your sprockets last longer.

Doubt me then. Call Dave Riggs up. He will tell you the same thing. He was Jays mechanic.

The MRDL do NOT use a chain breaker on it. You have to grind the rivets off first, then push it with a breaker. You will break the tool! Seen factory mechanics break their tools on this chain at the races.

What's his phone #? I'll give him a call.

I want to call him too!

Why don't we all call him?

Good idea! :thumbsup:

I have some questions about what oil, exhaust system and tires I should use... :applause:

The Regina ORN6 O-ring chain on my '03 is over two years old. The chain is still less than 1% longer than new, and has no stiff links. There's more wear on it from dragging through the dirt in the chain guide than from anything else, and it's been adjusted a total of 3 times. They will trap nothing unless you put it there by pressure washing it at such an angle that the water drives something under the rings.

I don't really see why people get O-ring chains. Less maintenance?

Exactly. I wash the chain with Simple Green and a garden hose along with the rest of the bike. Once it's dried, I shoot it with Maxima's Synthetic Chain Guard to prevent rust and lube the outer rollers. That's the sum total of the chain maintenance program.

As far as the power question, remember that the only O-rings in motion at any given moment are the 8 that are on the 4 pins either rolling onto or off of a sprocket at that instant. Of those, only the ones at the front sprocket are moved as much as 15 degrees. Hardly a power hog.

I personally wouldn't put so much thought into a chain, i am actually still running the stocker, although i did want to pull the rear wheel back anyways. But i think any regular aftermarket chain is fine, I have used renthal and liked that. Probably will fo with DID or renthal next time

That Dave Riggs is a busy guy, his phone is always busy.

But I'll keep trying.