Sign in to follow this  

Handlebar Adjustment?

I'm sure this is an easy fix but I thought I would learn some things before I go taking things apart!

I am just wondering if there is an adjustment to straighten out my bars or do I need to replace something. I have attached three pictures for your enjoyment...and information!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :applause:

Sorry bout that... :thumbsup::ride::applause:

theresult.jpg

fromfront.jpg

frombehind.jpg

Just loosen the bar mounts, one bolt under each bar mount. . Totally losoen them to let rubber bushings expand for a moment. then tighted 85%, where its tight but you cans till pull on bars to move them. Get them even then tighten down.

If it is still out of line, then you probably have a bent handlebar mount. Just remove the nuts on the mounts and take them out. If one is bent you will be able to tell just by looking at them

Looks to me like your mount is bent. Did you beat on them with a hammer? They look really beat up. You will need to replace the bar mounts if the posts are bent. Don't try to bend them back they will become very weak.

yea, you can def. see the mounts are bent, which pretty much happens on the stock ones whenever you lay the bike over. buy new tripple clamps and bar mounts.

I dont think a new top triple clamp is necessary, try to just take off your bar mounts and see if theyre straight, if the are and the rubbers are in good shape, throw it back together loose, get er all straight and tighten it up

This happened to mine as well when i crashed and endo'd. It was the right clamp that bent too. It costed me 22.00 for one OEM mount. I ended up thinking it was the bars so I bought new ones and now I have a nice new pair of bars.

OK, so I took them apart and found that the mounts are very slightly bent. I took the bushings out and re-set everything. The bars are back to about 98% straight and that is going to be good enough for right now (I'll probably drop her a few more times this year before I purchase new mounts).

Those bushings take much of the brunt when the bars are beat on (smashed into the ground). It really just smashed them down on one side Turning the bars in one direction. The bushings returned to normal shape and went right back in.

I will probably buy some new OEM Mounts over the winter.

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions!

You might be suprised at how much even a little off can affect the riding....

I agree...I have trouble controlling my mountain bike with even the slightest turn in the bars. I haven't looked into it but what would I expect to pay for new bar mounts? Do they come with new bushings as well?

I see above that one bar mount cost $22...is that what I should expect? :thumbsup:

I have a stock set of bar mounts that did not use too much if you want them for less than OEM. I also have stock bars and stock upper triple clamp.