Sign in to follow this  

Questions on Gearing

I am looking to make a change to the stock gearing on a 2003 KLX400r. I know either going down to 13 on the front or up to 48 on the back will lower the gearing, but here is my question.

1. Does it matter which you do? Will changing the it to 13/47 be the same as 14/48?

2. If I go down to 13 and up to 48 will I need to add links to the chain? as it will still equal the same total of 14/47.

A 14/48 setup will work with the stock chain, and so will 13/48.

Going down to a 13T in front, will wear out the chain slightly faster than going up to a 48T in the rear.

13/47 will be a lot lower than 14/48. 13/47 is equal to 14/50.

:thumbsup:

Not the same, treat it as a fraction, IE: divide 47 by 13 = 3.615 to 1 ratio, 48 by 14 = 3.429 to 1 ratio. Changing the front by one tooth makes a big difference, it's easier to do and costs less. The stock gearing is a reasonable compromise but If you're heavily into tight stuff but still want to make the odd road trip you might want to swap between a 13T front and a 15T. Personally I'd rather they came either with another gear or even better just spread the 5 out a bit more but that's just for my particular brand of mayhem.