Sign in to follow this  

CRF450x Break-In Procedures

I just purchased a 06' 450x yesterday. I have not even had a chance to ride it.

I am getting conflicting information on the proper break-in procedures. Everything from just ride easy the first time, heat it up - cool it off - do this three times, get on it to seat the rings, etc.

I would like to hear from the people on here. What is the best way to break in a new 450x? Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thank you.

breaking it in is easy. Just put it around your local ohv area for a few minutes then rev it up a little bit. Ride it around at varying speeds and rpms. Just try to keep it below 10k om the rpms. Then aftert you do this for about 30 mins it is ready to rip. After about 50 miles you need to change te il and filter.

Then we can talk about removing the smog pump, fattening up the jetting, and puling the baffle

Conventional wisdom used to be: take it easy and don't gas it too hard until you get some time on it.

The wisdom of today is: Warm it up first then run some good hard practice laps for about 15 minutes. Let it cool off then do the same thing again. Let it cool off and you are done. The main issue is getting the rings to seat properly and this requires the combustion pressures you get from on the gas hard riding. Ride it hard but stay off the rev limiter and don't allow it to overheat and you will be fine. Unfortunately I babyed my 05X for the first 100 miles and now it uses a fair amount of oil. Sometimes it's hard to teach on old dog new tricks. :thumbsup:

Running it in over here to the (latest) recommendations was:

1st Ride: Ride for 15 minutes, varying the revs, and moving up and down the gears. Don't allow the engine to bog / lug and don't hit the rev limiter (say max 10,000 rpm). Then allow the engine to cool down completely (ie: 30mins to 1 hour to allow the engine to completely cool depending on the air temp at your location).

2nd Ride: Repeat the above but ride for 30 minutes before allowing the engine to cool down completely again.

3rd Ride: Away you go. Just avoid hitting the rev limiter untill about 100 miles or so. Then replace your oils / filter and check everything out.

4th Ride: Go hard or go home.

do a search you will find the "ride it like you stole it" procedure the most used for the modern 4strokes.

Im putting the motor back togher after we just put a new crank in and new piston and rings Etc. and had the cyclinder recoted with nikasil, and put the motor back in the fram and hook it all up and i think im going to do these procedures. Thx.

Run it in like any other 4-stroke. Take it easy as in dont rev it right out for the first 200 km (120 miles). Keep putting plenty of load on the engine from there from low rpm. This helps to seat the rings better. Also, it would be highly recommended to not use fully synthetic oil during running-in. You need the parts to wear in!

I took mine out and rode for 80miles the first day to break it in.. Then I did a filter/oil change.. ALso remember to run 1 full qt in the tranny opposed to what is recomended int he manual

Don't run full synic oils for the first 600 miles...can use a blend...