Help me pick out a tent

I am looking to spend under $200 and it will be mainly for just myslef .My girl will may occasionally be inn there but I still want a 2 person tent to fit me and some gear. I want it to be light weight and fairly easy to put up.

I've searched around and I think there is about a thousand tents to choose from so I figured it wouldnt hurt to post and see what you guys (and girls) thought.

This one looks pretty good

I might get this one

And if money wasn't an object these tents look awsome

Hate to mention it on a motorcycle board, but the REI half dome 2HC is pretty inexpensive and has plenty of space for 2 tall folk, with plenty of bag storage (or a dog) under the vestibules. Sets up quick and has two doors so you never have to climb over the other person in the middle of the night. Not the absolute lightest thing out there though, but its been great for both backpacking and car camping.

After decades of camping

REI has an ultra lightweight solo tent in their 50% off clearance section. Says under 3 pounds. Most other stuff is sold out, but they still show it in stock. (the link button isn't working for me, but just go to REI.COM and click on the labor day sale. REI UL Roadster tent.) This isn't a free standing tent, but the vertical rods give you more room. It's about the size of 2 Nalprene bottles end-to-end.

With the discount it's marked down from $129 to $44.83 (plus s&h?)

Please note: REI supports the Sierra Club, so I tend to not shop there, but I occasionally buy stuff on clearance, figuring they aren't profitting too much from me...

EDIT: Just noticed you may occasionally sleep two. Cross this tent off your list

I have the MSR Zoid 2 and it has been a great tent. I have slept in it in 3 feet of snow and -20C and I have slept in it in +35. It is nice and small when packed, sets up easily and quickly and has a decent amount of room in the 2 vestibules. The only downside is it absolutely has to be staked out so if you end up on rock it can be a problem to set it up. That tent has seen a lot of miles on the bike and on my back and I would get another in a heartbeat.

I use a wenzel ridgeline and have been happy with it. Folded it fits in my luggage and I plan to resection the monopole so it packs tighter. It is a bivy style tent so you enter in a seated position and slide your legs to the end. I use a two man also so I have extra gear room (MX stuff takes up alot of room...lol)

Spent about $30 on ebay for it. Not posting a link but there are several people that sell them.

Check out the Eureka Apex 2xta or the newer model Pinnacle Pass 2xta. Not the lightest but is free standing, packs fairly small and is relatively inexpensive. Having 2 doors is great when you have a second person and the 2 vestibules add a lot of gear storage space. I've used mine moto-camping under a variety of conditions and it's held up well.

I have spent 30+ nights in this tent so far this spring and I love it. Sets up fast and it is super tough, 30+ mph winds and she held strong.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0024830&navCount=1&parentId=cat20103&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20075-cat20103&parentType=index&indexId=cat20103&rid=

The REI tent is nice and all but do you really want to support the envrionmental nazis?

If You Wanna Buy One Tent To Last Along Time For Any Condition,buy A North Face Mountain 25.there Is None Better,there Wind,snow And Rain Proof. These Tents Can Be Put In 3' Of Snow And Think Nothing Of It.and Takes Up Very Little Space.i Have Two Of Them.i Have One That Has Been Used Once For $200 If Any One Is Interested?

Well my decision just got harder. All those tents look great. The Rei websites 360 degree view is awsome! Its like being in the tent.

The Uerekas both have $30 rebate right now making (the 2xta is only about $100). The used North face tent is tempting but it weighs a lot. The Cabelas tent is nice and I just got a Cabelas rebate card in the mail but unfortuantely I threw it out.

Decisions, decisions. Maybe I'll flip a coin.

My lightweight moto/hiking tent is a Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 ultra lightweight.

I bought it for:

Lightweight

Packed size (short poles)

All mesh roof/sides

Freestanding

Can use footprint and rainfly w/o tent

Drab color

Not sure about your weather but for desert camping it's the bomb. I dig the all mesh so I can see all around.

IMG_9662.jpg

You bring up a good point about weather. Im not certain exactly what temps I will be using the ten for. All mesh would be nice if you needed it for hot weather or to spot oncoming attackers. I am planning a road trip and will probably be in warmer climates. Although I like the cold better (im actually a bit worried about snakes and gators). Unfortunately it's just not condusive to motorcycle riding with the snow and all. I wanted to go to Montana or something but Im worried about riding my bike in snow fall.