Sign in to follow this  

TE vs TC difference?

Here is what I have for the '05 models

TC TE

5 speed 6 speed

37mm carb 37mm carb

no lights enduro light and taillight

slightly lighter weight -

So....what other engine characteristics make these different?

Does the TE have a kickstand? I'm wanting to use it for offroad and trails and supermoto racing.

It is more than 5sp vs 6 sp, the TE has a gear box roughly like the drz400, where the TC is more like a yz250 - so if you are operating wider MPH range you may want the wider TE gearbox. TE has the estart for 2006, don't think the tc did.

yes te has kick stand, tc does not. sounds like you need to go look at some.

TC is for MX, does not need as wide of range of gears. On the track you want 1st gear suited for the tightest corner, noting worse in an MX race then to accidently downshift too far into a "trail riding" 1st gear, then have to shift back up in the corner!

Also in 05 TC was kick start only, kick was available as an option (I think 06 is the other way around). TC had a very light weight magneto, great for track OK in the woods for expert rider, handfull for a beginer.

TE is much more trail friendly, 6 speeds over a wider range, kick stand, spark aresstor, lighting provisions etc.

Interesting to me how in about 01-02? Cannondale, then in 05 Husky went Estart only on TC and the market po poed the idea of no K start, now KTM is going that way (07 450SX). We will see if the world is ready?

Mike, for supermoto, I doubt that you would ever get into 6th? The TC is less money, the lighter weight magneto is going to make it a bit more responsive and the spark arrestor would be wasted, get the TC

The 05 is electric start only kickstart in an option except I am told it is back ordered until december. I have an 05 TC 250 and it has instant throttle response. Pretty fun bike, feels light and powerful to me. I put a larger battery than the stock little one. I also spliced in some bigger terminal ends because those stock spade connectors wouldn't hold the amps.

Mike, for supermoto, I doubt that you would ever get into 6th? The TC is less money, the lighter weight magneto is going to make it a bit more responsive and the spark arrestor would be wasted, get the TC

US Supermoto Team uses the TC Chassis and TE Motor (6 Speed).

The difference is not just an extra Gear, but a wider ratio trans on the TE, The 4th Gear in both is the same, that's the ONLY one though.

My wife has one of each and prefers the TC for MOST Desert Races. BITD we used the TE with different Secondary Gearing but thats pretty extreme High Speed stuff.

The Flywheel and Stator on the TC is Barely Adequate and the TE has a Balance Shaft that takes the Vibration away (Partially) at low RPM On-Off Throttle Situations.

Both have Electric Start (in 2005) but only the TE had a kicker too.

2006 the TC is Kick only, TE has Both.

Either Bike can be Retro Up-Down Graded with Kickers or Starters.

TE has the 18 Rear, TC has 19 Inch.

Because the 2006 TE is Street Legal, they command top dollar. 2005 TC's are by far the cheapest to buy.

Bob,

Whats your recomended gearing for a TC450, given a mixture of tight singletrack and open fire trails? What is the best compromise?

Aussie.

The 05 is electric start only kickstart in an option except I am told it is back ordered until december. I have an 05 TC 250 and it has instant throttle response. Pretty fun bike, feels light and powerful to me. I put a larger battery than the stock little one. I also spliced in some bigger terminal ends because those stock spade connectors wouldn't hold the amps.

The TC has a smaller battery and Spade Terminals But the TE Battery and Harness to the Starter is all you need to Increase the Capacity if you are "mechanically challenged". Swapping the Terminals works too and it's cheaper.

Bob,

Whats your recomended gearing for a TC450, given a mixture of tight singletrack and open fire trails? What is the best compromise?

Aussie.

Wow, I don't know??? Does the Gearbox spin backwards on that side of the Equator?

Seriously.......

The TC 450 (05) is good for about 78-80 MPH Stock. I left mine alone as far as Gearing and I cannot recall what it is but I would guess and say 14/50. Whatever "stock" is.

I am 40 and I race So. Cal. Desert which is a mix of wide open and super tight enduro type terrain. I feel no need to Gear up, 80 is pretty fast, and it will climb anything.

The cool thing is that you can put a 15 on the Front with the Stock Chain and give it a try, let me know how fast it goes, I am curious!

No counterbalancer on the TCs.
Scotty, are you absolutely/positively sure about that?

T-Mex,

No Counterbalancer on TC's in 2005. Perhaps things changed for 2006 but I doubt it.

T-Mex,

No Counterbalancer on TC's in 2005. Perhaps things changed for 2006 but I doubt it.

No counterbalancer on tc in 2006 either.

Wow, I don't know??? Does the Gearbox spin backwards on that side of the Equator?

Seriously.......

The TC 450 (05) is good for about 78-80 MPH Stock. I left mine alone as far as Gearing and I cannot recall what it is but I would guess and say 14/50. Whatever "stock" is.

I am 40 and I race So. Cal. Desert which is a mix of wide open and super tight enduro type terrain. I feel no need to Gear up, 80 is pretty fast, and it will climb anything.

The cool thing is that you can put a 15 on the Front with the Stock Chain and give it a try, let me know how fast it goes, I am curious!

My Bad.

It's got a 15 on it ,not 14.