Sign in to follow this  

CRF450 as first bike...???? or second

anyone gone from a small bike(crf100, etc.) straight to a crf450?

or even start on a CRF450?

i have had 2 friends start out on wr450's. If you can fit on a 450 then get it because you will outgrow a 250 really quick

i fit on one, but dont know if i should get it. but at least i would have some experience, comin off a 100.

ya, and thats another problem. everyone says ill just end up getting a 450 anyways, so i should just get a 450 now.

if you are coming off of a small bike like a 100 a 450 is going to be a huge jump. The thing is if you can get on it and handle the power then the 450 is the way to go if you want to warm up to the 450 then get a 250 and get comfortable on that. I started on a 400 years ago and found that it was a good start for me. but it is true if you get a 250 now you will end up getting a 450 soon.

i think i can handle it. if i get a 450, im gonna take it slow for the first couple rides, and get the feel of the unbeleiveable power. but once i get it down, ill be happy. and i dont want to get a 250, sell it, and then get a 450. id rathr go straight to the 450.

I think we have talked about this one before, yes? I think your profile says you have a CRF50, but in fact you have been riding around on a 100 for a while. First thing you should do if possible is ride both the 250 and the 450 before you buy one. You would hate to make the wrong buying decision and find out you have bought the wrong bike and it is either too much or not enough for your capabiility. I've seen plenty of guys buy a bike that's too much for them to handle, then at the first sign of a challenge in the terrain (steep, slippery, gnarly etc...) they wind up flat on thier face (or worse - end up smacking into something or someone) and injuring themselves and then finding themselves too scared to ride the thing and selling up. I've also seen the opposite where they buy an underpowered bike based on someone's recommendation and find it is not up to their standard. I think the best thing for you is to be honest with yourself and your riding ability. If you can accomplish that, you will make the right buying decision regardless of what anyone else tells you.

I think we have talked about this one before, yes? I think your profile says you have a CRF50, but in fact you have been riding around on a 100 for a while. First thing you should do if possible is ride both the 250 and the 450 before you buy one. You would hate to make the wrong buying decision and find out you have bought the wrong bike and it is either too much or not enough for your capabiility. I've seen plenty of guys buy a bike that's too much for them to handle, then at the first sign of a challenge in the terrain (steep, slippery, gnarly etc...) they wind up flat on thier face (or worse - end up smacking into something or someone) and injuring themselves and then finding themselves too scared to ride the thing and selling up. I've also seen the opposite where they buy an underpowered bike based on someone's recommendation and find it is not up to their standard. I think the best thing for you is to be honest with yourself and your riding ability. If you can accomplish that, you will make the right buying decision regardless of what anyone else tells you.

ok. that helped alot. ill try to ride both. if i can somehow. ill just have to think about it, cause im one of those riders, that adapts to things, like terrain very quickly and loves challenges.

i think i can handle it. if i get a 450, im gonna take it slow for the first couple rides, and get the feel of the unbeleiveable power. but once i get it down, ill be happy. and i dont want to get a 250, sell it, and then get a 450. id rathr go straight to the 450.

My 05 450x was my first bike in like 15 years. I had been riding quads for quite some time after some bad road motorcycle wrecks and I ditched all the mx stuff. The wife wanted to move to motorcycles and the kids did too so

I went ou and bought a 450x for me, a 230f for the wife, crf50 for my daighter, and jr50 for the 3 yr old boy. I don't regret any of the purchases!

Honestly both will be more than you can handle at first. and it could take way more than a "few" rides to get accustomed to the power of either the 250 or 450. Alot of guys are finding that they ride a 250 faster than a 450 on the track. Track and woods riders find that the 250 doesn't wear them out as fast as a 450. If you are gonna ride desert you'll need the 450,

How and where are you going to ride? what do your friends/riding buddies ride? I can keep up with my buddies on my pit bike in the woods. But I need the 450 power in the desert to have a chance and not slow down the group. I never get out of 2nd riding with my 5 and 6 year old kids. The desert riding is the only time I'm legitimately saying "dam# I'm glad I got the 450" The rest of the time I wonder if the 250 would have been fine.

My suggestion is to pick up a used 250 and know that in a year you might sell it and move up. You won't wring out a 2 year old 250...look for one that just had a top end rebuild, ask around at some shops and see who want to part with one. But if you are going to race at all you don't want to mix it up with the guys on 450's right off....unless you are racing vet class where everything is slower of course.

here is a pic of one of my friends with a 450. This is his 5th time ever riding a dirt bike. He learned 2 years ago on a klx 300

workinthatyamitn9.jpg

dang, that place loks fun. i bet i can handle a 450 after some practice.

would i be able to manuver it like i do my 100 after some time. theres not really any tight trails around here in southern california, so i dont need to really worry about that.

I pretty much rode trail 90's and a 74 XL 250 till last summer. I bought a xr 400 and rode it only about 3 times and then bought my X this year. The first time I went i was with a buddy that had a 250 x and after riding his I wished I had a 250. His was a blast, on mine i was just trying to survive! Now though after 3-4 rides i'm glad I have the 450x instead. The problem is there is no perfect bike. I rode the Idaho dunes last week and my buddies 450 r made my 450 x feel like a hunk a junk. In the woods though the X supposedly is way better but i've never had a R in the woods. If i could i'd have a 250 X trail bike for woods and a 450 R for the sand. But I can't have both so the 450 X keeps me happy. :thumbsup: