Sign in to follow this  

The fix for the leaky 1/4 turn gas cap

I have had a problem with these stupid (IMO) gas caps. Last time I went to my dealer to get another cap (on KTM's dime) they also gave me an o ring that fits on the cap. This solved the problem. :thumbsup: Your dealer should have them also since the factories are now sending them to all the dealers, so I've heard. :ride:

• Like 1

My dealer doesn't even know the 450EXC's are lean and tend to overheat with stock jetting. When I told them mine did that, they said "Wow, they still do that, I thought they fixed that problem, duh." My salesman told me to jet the bike myself because his mechanics would never get it right. When I traded it for my 250 XC-F, he told me to let him know how to jet it, he wanted to buy one. They suck.

My dealer doesn't even know the 450EXC's are lean and tend to overheat with stock jetting. When I told them mine did that, they said "Wow, they still do that, I thought they fixed that problem, duh." My salesman told me to jet the bike myself because his mechanics would never get it right. When I traded it for my 250 XC-F, he told me to let him know how to jet it, he wanted to buy one. They suck.

:ride: I'm sorry, I don't know if we are talking about the same problem. I was talking about the newer bikes. A few 06's and even more 07's have a new gas cap that does not screw on, it is more like a radiator cap. 1/4 turn on and off. I went through 3 of those things :applause: . KTM always provided a new one at no cost, at the dealer :thumbsup: . Well this last time I took one in for warranty they provided a o-ring that fits directly on the underside of the cap. This worked very well. I even rode it hard through the whoops, which is where it usually sputtered out onto my crotch area, and nothing came out. This was very good news for me and I wanted to share since the dealers have run out of these new caps half of the time you go in there. Most of the time they only have leaking ones turned in for a new one. :applause:

I'm just venting about how stupid my dealer is. If I went there and told him I needed an O-ring for my fuel tank, he may come out with a new front tire, they are that stupid.

lost coyote, how did you go about having KTM pay for the new caps? just go in the dealer and bitch? my leaks like a siv, but haven't received any thing from KTM saying they would replace the gas cap.....I'm me with your knowledge of the system, PLEASE!!

Just go to your dealer and tell them it is leaking and they will either give you a new one if they have it or order one. KTM is well aware of the problem since everyone who has the new style cap has the leak. It's that simple.

lost coyote, how did you go about having KTM pay for the new caps? just go in the dealer and bitch? my leaks like a siv, but haven't received any thing from KTM saying they would replace the gas cap.....I'm me with your knowledge of the system, PLEASE!!

Some dealers are asking for a picture now, so take a pic or email it to your dealer, of the dirty leaky area. Take the bad one in and they will give you a new one. Oh, I also bought an EZ flow breather because the stock one leaked at the frame. Well I pushed it on the cap while it was on the bike and the ball float fell inside the tank and broke that seal in the middle of the cap for the breather tube :applause: . Take the cap off of the bike and put it on a stable surface to push the breather tube back on. :thumbsup: