Sign in to follow this  

My '06 locked up today with 9.4hrs on it!!

I decided to go for a ride with a buddy today since I haven't been able to put hardly any time on my bike since buying it. We went for a woods/trail ride. Got about half an hour of riding in and then she locked up on me. I was in 2nd gear maybe 1/4 throttle slowing down for a road crossing. All of a sudden the bike started really slowing down, and it started really knocking like a valve may have dropped. I stopped and hit the killswitch immediately. Hopefully, because I killed it and it didn't die on it's own it won't be as bad.

After we had stopped I tried to lightly kick it over just to see if it would move, I got about half a kick and then it locked up tight. For the few guys that had the piston pin fail what happened when it did. I checked the valves and have only put about 1.5 hours on since then and they were all well within spec. The bike was running awesome and there was no indication at all something was wrong, it just happened very fast. If you guys have read the lowest vin # thread you will see that I have the second lowest vin so this was one of the early bikes off the line.

Also, for the guys who have had the issues covered by Kawi did you phone kawi direct or go to the dealer or what??? I only ask because I have no faith in the mechanics at my local dealer.

My buddies locked up on him on a face of a good sized tripple jump.... Kawi Covered it... Not only the motor but also the pipe, Subframe, bars, and front brake master cylinder... I'd take it to the dealer if they are decent about it they can talk to there Rep and probally get it taken care of... Esp. if there isn't that many hours on it

Eric

Speed Pro

That's good to hear, I hope your buddy was alright. My other question is will kawi just send the parts so you can do it yourself or does the dealer have to do it?? I would much rather repair it myself!

So I just finished pulling it apart. Everything is almost perfect. Cylinder is fine, no marks or scratches. The only issue is you can see where the intake valves were just barely tapping the top of the piston. I guess my intake clearances must have changed over the last few rides. I am gonna throw in a wiseco or cp piston and change the pin just for good measure (it looks fine, however) and go riding. I guess when I checked the valves last there wasn't even enough time on the bike for them to change yet(about 5 hrs when I checked them). My buddies rmz's valve clearances changed almost instantly like that as well. I shimmed it and set them for him and it has been fine for many many hours of riding.

Well thats good.. You would of had to take it to your dealer to have it fixed.. My buddy got pretty messed up... got pins in his foot and broke his wrist...

Guys, Kawasaki should address this issue. :thumbsup: I was considering the KX450 after reading the 450 shootouts. But everytime, I check this forum I read something like this. Most of you guys play it down as all of the bikes have problems... But, go on the yz450 forum. I seldom see any valve or piston problems. Sure, you have a problem every now and then but considering the number of YAMI's vs KAW's out there, I don't think you can make a valid comparison. I hope KAW figures this out soon because they have an awesome handling motorcycle. But, until then, I'm staying away from the green machine.

Guys, Kawasaki should address this issue. :thumbsup: I was considering the KX450 after reading the 450 shootouts. But everytime, I check this forum I read something like this. Most of you guys play it down as all of the bikes have problems... But, go on the yz450 forum. I seldom see any valve or piston problems. Sure, you have a problem every now and then but considering the number of YAMI's vs KAW's out there, I don't think you can make a valid comparison. I hope KAW figures this out soon because they have an awesome handling motorcycle. But, until then, I'm staying away from the green machine.
Not all of them are having problems. You are hearing about the ones that do, naturally. Same thing for the 250F, all you hear about are the ones that have problems. I have owned the 04, 05, and 06 K250F and the 06 450F and I have not had any problems with any of them. I have a friend here that just spent $800 bucks on new cases for his special edition YZ450F because they cracked. He's not hard on his stuff either, it was a fluke thing. Stuff happens, I don't let message boards or magazines influence what I buy and neither should anyone else.

You turn a 4 stroke motor over 10,000 rpm's and some are going to blow. NONE of them and NOBODY can guarantee anything different.

Guys, Kawasaki should address this issue. :thumbsup:

And what issue exactly are you talking about??? If you read my whole post you sould have read where it turned out to be valve clearances that weren't in spec. The same thing would happen on any 4-stroke. My buddys's RMZ450 was the exact same way. Valve adjustments are not an issue but a reality and part of regular maintenace if you own a 4-stroke. That's just the way it is.

Also Kawasaki is addressing any issues they are coming across. Every person who has had an engine problem so far has had it covered under warranty. That right there is just another reason why I will keep riding green! :applause::applause:

I should have known better to make such comments in the KXF450 forum. I apologize gents... no hard feelings.... I stand corrected, Kawasaki is not responsible for any of the valve clearance issues or locked up engines with 9.4 hours on it. It happens all the time with all brands. Forget I ever brought it up. Cheers!

I should have known better to make such comments in the KXF450 forum. I apologize gents... no hard feelings.... I stand corrected, Kawasaki is not responsible for any of the valve clearance issues or locked up engines with 9.4 hours on it. It happens all the time with all brands. Forget I ever brought it up. Cheers!
The real question is, why do you feel the need to TROLL this board in the first place???? Speaks volumes about your character and is typical of YZF owners.

Chill! Just expressing my opinion. I'm not loyal to Yamaha, in fact I own a 01 KX 250 and have been contemplating the 06 - 07 KXF... that's why I've been "trolling" your forum.

So I just finished pulling it apart. Everything is almost perfect. Cylinder is fine, no marks or scratches. The only issue is you can see where the intake valves were just barely tapping the top of the piston. I guess my intake clearances must have changed over the last few rides. I am gonna throw in a wiseco or cp piston and change the pin just for good measure (it looks fine, however) and go riding. I guess when I checked the valves last there wasn't even enough time on the bike for them to change yet(about 5 hrs when I checked them). My buddies rmz's valve clearances changed almost instantly like that as well. I shimmed it and set them for him and it has been fine for many many hours of riding.

Dude,

Something does not sound right, I've rarely ever heard of a bike that the valves just started tapping the piston and that everything is fine after that...It sounds to me like your timing chain jumped a tooth and even with that being said, something else has to be wrong for the engine to lock-up. The valves will be bent ! :thumbsup:

The piston pin issue is only one of the things that some of these bikes had problems with, the other was the oil pickup screen getting clogged with bits of silicone and crud, thus restricting the flow of oil back to the oil pump. Your bike did not fix itself, my guess is it's still broke...and it won't run when you try to restart it.

No it doesn't happen ALL the time to ALL brands but it does happen to ALL of them sometimes. I would not hold Kawasaki responsible for clearances changing as a bike is broken or nor would I blame Yamha if I had a YZF. My friends RMZ 450 did the same thing, I reshimmed it and he has been riding problem free for 20+ hrs now. There are so many variables that could contribute to a problem like this, rider abuse, type of oil, lack of oil, etc.... Had the wrist pin broken as has happened to a very few others I would have been happy in the knowledge that Kawi would cover it for me. I am not making excuses for Kawi and I am by no means attempting to bash on Yamaha (I would be riding one had I not bought the KX).

Yamaha had issues with valves on the 250f's and they recalled them. There was also a recall on the KXF 250's for valves. Both companies doing what they need to do to take care of the problem. As for the 450's there has only been 2-3 confirmed cases of wrist pin failure on this site and both were taken care of. It would be stupid on Kawi's part and very costly to bring in all the 450's when only a minute few are having issues.

Something does not sound right, I've rarely ever heard of a bike that the valves just started tapping the piston and that everything is fine after that...It sounds to me like your timing chain jumped a tooth and even with that being said, something else has to be wrong for the engine to lock-up. The valves will be bent

I agree. If your valves were that out of spec they would have fallen out of the head. Sounds like the timing jumped. You should disassemble the entire head and make sure those valves are straight. If the motor is apart you might as well do it right. :thumbsup:

hondas are good but not totally devoid of problems. the 2 '06 crf450's we had to have goodwilled (this month) for a bad right crank bearing (which is something they have had issues with)and a bolt backing out of the kicker area and cracking the cases will atest to that.

You can't turn a 4 stroke motor over 10k RPM's and not think one will detonate every once in a while. I don't care what color you pick. Some people understand that, some hide their head in the sand and try and tell everyone one brand is better than the other. They are all good bikes, but to expect never to have problems is unrealistic given the performance you are getting out of these bikes.

Pick a color and have fun. None of them are better than the other, they are all good, go with the one that fits YOU best.

You can't turn a 4 stroke motor over 10k RPM's and not think one will detonate every once in a while. I don't care what color you pick. Some people understand that, some hide their head in the sand and try and tell everyone one brand is better than the other. They are all good bikes, but to expect never to have problems is unrealistic given the performance you are getting out of these bikes.

Pick a color and have fun. None of them are better than the other, they are all good, go with the one that fits YOU best.

I have been lucky! but that is the truth, maintenance is the best thing you can do to get the longevity.