Sign in to follow this  

did the cam chain jump?

let me start by saying that I adjusted the cam chain regularly. But that being said the last adjustment looked like there was not much more tension then before I attempted the adjustment. But it didnt really seem to be that loose. I rode today, everything fine, except for a difficult start, and an uncharacteric stall right after I clicked it into gear (figured it was from race fuel I was using, as opposed to normal 91 octane). Anyway after a couple of hours at the track, I highsided, and sat on the side of the track for 15 minutes trying to kick bike over. Then....I kicked through and it felt/sounded as though it gave way at the bottom of the stroke. Like jumped a tooth/teeth. I never felt anything like it, so i wasnt sure it if it was my imagination ( i did just highside and smacked my head pretty hard.) after a few more attempts it started, but sounded rough. I went right to the truck and loaded up. Now at home I try to kick the bike on the stand, and same thing happened after the 5th kick(kind of a slip), it never take that many kicks, when starting cold. I pulled the rocked cover off and the chian is definitly looser then it had been , I tried to adjust then tension. and the tensioner does not make any adjustment. What the hell is going on, any thoughts would be appriciated. I am a novice mechanic, I am trying get a feel for where to start.

thanks

That sounds strange, I would go back to the start. Get the marks lined up as per the manual, making 100% sure all the marks are lined up correctly then do the cam chain adjustment correctly but dont turn the engine over until you have correctly tightened up the adjuster.Good luck.

cam chain is fine, the timing is spot on, but when I attempt to kick it over, once every 2-3 kicks it will give way at the bottom of the stroke...like something is skipping, I will drain the oil (look for metal) pull the cover off and start to inspect the kickstarter assembly...??I have no idea. will keep posting when i find out whats going on.

sounds like a busted tooth on a kickstarter gear. Just finished with one of those on a new XR 400.

was that fix easy? i got an 04 xr4 and it also skips a bit at the bottom of the kick.i just havnt gotten around to looking at it yet.

sorry for the highjack jniles.

It was the idler gear between the kickstarter and the clutch on the XR so the clutch had to be pulled to replace the gear, however two teeth broke off and I could only find one in the engine side so I had to split the cases and found the other tooth lodged inside the center cases near the oil sump screen. It was a poor casting on the gear you could see an air pocket in the metal where the tooth broke off, the customer is gonna try to at least get honda to pay the 70 bucks for the defective gear. It sounds like it may be the same prob. your having.

I just noticed your post, posted a similar problem. the cam chain just does not seen tight, even when the tensioner is tight. the kick start I think could be ruled out if you tunr the crank with the bolt on the flywheel. my only guess is that the cam chain is stretched. I have one on order and will compare the two. If you solved your problem let me know.