Sign in to follow this  

BEST Tire Selection on CRF 450?

:thumbsup: I have worn out my dunlop 756 tire 3 mos and decided to start an official thread on tire selection. Just going from a yamaha 426 to yz 250 and now CRF 450 I can tell you that each one worked better on different tires. My 03 CRF rear seemed to work the best and lasted the longest on the Brigestone m602 hard terain vs the dunlop 739, 756 and maxxis IT. Everyone post what tires they like the best on their CRF's (considering $$$ and performance) and for what terrrains. I searched everywhere and cant find one legitimate tire selection thread. In some of the threads I noticed many people were complaining about the same problem, so here it is, an officeal CRF 450 tire thread. This could help a lot of us out!

I`v been using dunlop 756 front,and dunlop 773 rear, on soft to med terrains, and they work,and wear great for me. Sand, and roots, and rock in some places. Mexico?? Mich. yes

i think u need another dirtbike :thumbsup:

SHO NIT!!! :ride:

Of all the tires I've ever had on any of my bikes, my personal favorite is the Michelin CrossCompetion III rear. Almost everyone's initial response is "but that's a 13mm FIM tire". True, but this has no ill-effects on it's ability to absolutely hook-up, or on it's longevity. They are a little harder to find in the 19 inch diameter, but they're out there. The higher cost is easily outweighed by the life of the tire.

Dunlop 952 for the rear. Works fantastic for my and wears great....even when I take a little road from trail to trail. I hate doing it but I do it respectfully and the least possible. Does great on the rocks that we have around here too. I'm running a 756 front but it seems to wear too quick for me too. Might try a 952 front but they don't look that good whereas my buddy swears by it on his katoom 400sx.

:thumbsup: I love the Dunlop 952 also. Tire is great for durability and price, but more importantly, I love it for woods riding. It does great in a variety of conditions where I ride (Ohio and West Virginia) I'm sticking with it. :ride:

Starcross rear and S12 front on the bike now with a M401/402 waiting to take their place next. Maxxcross IT is my favorite rear with a ST front.

I`v been using dunlop 756 front,and dunlop 773 rear, on soft to med terrains, and they work,and wear great for me. Sand, and roots, and rock in some places. Mexico?? Mich. yes

I have the 773 up front and 756 in the rear but I need a new rear so i will be getting a 773 for the rear also. The 773 is a great Michigan tire

I swear by the Maxxis IT on the rear, had it on for five months now and its barely rounded off. I like the Dunlop 756 on the front though.

That would be a killer combo and will be my next purchase. No Dunlop rears for me please.

Don't dismiss this since you may not have heard of 'em, but King's Tyres wear like iron, can deal with the HP, and are great on rocks and hardpack. Enduro riders are cheap SOBs and between riding on asphalt between sections and burning rubber over big logs and stuff, they'll last a whole season. Seen rears for $38, but can't remember where.

For loam and off road, s12 rear and m12 front.

Interesting...I used to always go with the s12 rear, but once I discovered the CrossCompIII, I have no need for the s12 (on the rear, anyway). If you like the s12, try the CompIII one time...you'll be amazed....

The dunlop 952 is a great REAR tire for a wide range of conditions and it lasts a long time too.

I vote for the 952 aswell. I ride mostly desert & it works great on hard rocky terrain. I use the 120/90-19.

Don't dismiss this since you may not have heard of 'em, but King's Tyres wear like iron, can deal with the HP, and are great on rocks and hardpack. Enduro riders are cheap SOBs and between riding on asphalt between sections and burning rubber over big logs and stuff, they'll last a whole season. Seen rears for $38, but can't remember where.

Right on! You can not beat this set up. The sharpest nobbies in the land!

:thumbsup:

I dont have a cr450f, I know but I have a yz450f. Sorry if i contaminate your thread but after reading all the great stuff about the maxxis it rear i decided to put one on. I had a dunlop 952 on their that last forever and even seem to get awesome traction when near bald. Well after one ride weekend with the maxxis IT it is trashed. Rounded over so bad and so much rubber has worn off. I don't notice any advantage in traction either. I use dunlop 773 for front in soft sandy conditions.