Sign in to follow this  

The best way to secure my bike?

Hi,

As I live in an apartment building with no garage or other private closed area I have to lock my bike in the street.

So far I've been using a break-disc lock and a chain which goes around a tree and the swingarm.

Any better suggestions?

Be sure and put a cover on it, it will actually discourage thiefs. Anything that you can do to slow them down will help.

Don't loop it through the swingarm, thats easily defeated by removing the rear wheel, go through the frame, I am able to get my Kryptonite cable lock through the frame by the pegs.

Unfortuanately locks only keep honest people honest, but a good lock will usually make a thief move on to easier pickings. Most thieves are lazy, thats why they steal instead of working for a living.

The best way is to live on the ground floor, and park it in the livingroom. Otherwise, try to find a well lit, easy to see spot & make sure your insurance is paid. A real theif can get whatever they want. The weekend bandit is who you should look out for. Good luck!

If there's a parking lot that charges a monthly rate I'd go that route... and of course use the wheel lock feature. Might also want to google Motorcyle Alarms.

I personally bought LoJack for my bike...I work at my local mall and am not allowed to park it on the sidewalk or up close. Has to be out at the edge of the parking lot....bad news! I also bought and HUGE chain and lock set up. You CANT cut through it with anything less than a plamsa cutter...also note the lock...its protected...if someone where to steal it...they'd be working on it for a while...I suggest one of these chains...anything less can just be clipped!

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47980639&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&color=&img=/media/571570.jpg&view=large

What kind of insurance do you have?

I use the same lock as kenrock - good product. You're doing pretty well by locking it to something, but I echo the thought about the swingarm. Might be better off locking through the frame, or through the front wheel, since that's harder to take off than the rear wheel. And, of course, Lojack, alarms and a cover might be worth considering.

What kind of insurance do you have?

I have Progressive, with full replacement coverage for theft.

I have Progressive, with full replacement coverage for theft.

I have same Progressive insurance, mine also covers $1000 in aftermarket parts so check your policy and save your reciepts.

I live in apartment too and I use steering lock, rear disc lock, braided steel cable that I run through the frame oth the bike and through the rim of my car, and also use a cover too.

Regarding the steering lock, I heard that a swift kick to the handlebars is all it takes to overcome it and in that case even if they don't get through the other locks in time to take your bike you are left with all kinds of particles and damage in your steering column. That's why I don't use mine.