Sign in to follow this  

cylinder honing?

hey i just did my topend....i just relized after reading something.

honing=...cleaning the cylinder with hot water then using like brake cleaner then wiping up?

is it manditory to hone cylinder when doing top end? because i kinda forgot/didnt know.*i had the idea, just didnt make it priority*

is it very serious to where i should tear down the bike and clean the cylinder? or am i ok.

Now don't quote me on this, but you could lose compression if you didn't hone it. It depends on what happened with the last piston and if the scratches were still there. I'd wait for a better answer but I think as long as the walls were above decent (still could see the cross scratches in some places) you should be ok but might lose some hours on your piston. Definately wait for some other posts before you tear it apart though. I'm not sure and could totally be wrong, but my mechanic did it for me and its pretty much free.

Even a scuff bad and household cleaner can be used to break the glaze in the cylinder.

You should atleast do that much. you are taking a big chance just cleaning it with a solvent and popping in new rings. They may seat, the may not...it is a crap shoot.

Even a scuff bad and household cleaner can be used to break the glaze in the cylinder.

You should atleast do that much. you are taking a big chance just cleaning it with a solvent and popping in new rings. They may seat, the may not...it is a crap shoot.

well my problem is i didnt clean it at all. there was no wear visiable that i saw so i just popped it back on without thinking....

im guessing there is....residue from the last piston and rings that are on that cylinder that needs to be cleaned for new rings to be seated? there was nothing on the walls. if there was its invisable.

also if the rings dont seat im also guessing i can just buy new rings from JE and put them in and start again?

I called Pro-circuit on this very issue when I was doing my re-build, and they said to use a red(agressive) scotch-bright pad dry. Just rub around in a circular motion for about 10 min. These new nickle-clas cylinders will get ruined by a regular hone. :thumbsup:

Not true I just honed my Ice cube 276 and it came out great.I called Max Power who now sells the Ice cube and they said is was ok to hone.The stock should be the same.And yes if you did nothing it is a crap shoot.If you re- do it get new rings.

You may want to run a search on that Nester. There are assloads of info. here about that......and I mean a lot. :thumbsup:

What size and what type of hone did Max-Power reccomend for the 276 cc kit?

And yes if you did nothing it is a crap shoot.If you re- do it get new rings.

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::thumbsup::ride:

sigh....guess i have to take it apart again...more exp i guess :applause:

thanks for all the help!!!

If your bike is not smoking leave it alone it will not hurt the engine.All you will have is maybe a bad seal.Also if it is a bad seal you will burn some oil.Run it but keep an eye on the oil after each ride.If your burning oil then change the rings.

When you had it apart, if it was really shiny and glazy, your rings may not seat. Rings need to take a little bit of material in order to seat, and if theres glazing, youre taking a chance