Sign in to follow this  

replacing front sprocket!

hey i was just wondering if anyone can give me some easy tips on changing my front sprocket , just thinking about it i can think of a way or two to do it.

anyone have easy quick ways of changing front sprocket?

I put an ironman on my front sprocket, the easiest way is to find a convienient place to jam the screw driver in the gear against the engine case (where its flat on top) so that it locks the front sprocket in place. It's easier with two people, but can be done with some effort by one person.

If the bike wasn't in the shop i'd take some pictures of some ways to do it.

Let me try and describe it better:

1) Take the screwdriver and place it through one of the teeth on the left side (when looking at it). Make sure it lays flush on the engine case.

2) get a (14mm socket i beleive) and spin the wrench toward the wrench. The gear should be jammed and you should be able to loosen it off easily.

3) it should just slide on off, wiggle it if needed.

--- Putting it back on.

This is a harder mission to find a place for the screwdriver to jam it but use the same technique on the right side.

Hope I could help, thats how I did my ironman front sprocket.

---------------OR---------------------------

Use a high powered air gun and that usaully does the trick if you have one. just make sure its high psi and that your wrists dont get twisted with the gun.

Before you take the chain off, have someone hold the rear brake firmly and break the sprocket bolt free. Then remove the chain and sprocket.

i had that idea as a last resort. im thinking i can put the new sprocket on there the same way to.

in addition i've read somewhere that you can take the spark plug out and put some type of rope in there then go to put the piston tdc and it will sort of jam it from turning over to. but i dont think it will resort to that

in addition i've read somewhere that you can take the spark plug out and put some type of rope in there then go to put the piston tdc and it will sort of jam it from turning over to. but i dont think it will resort to that

Don't ever do that! You could ruin more in 5 seconds than you could fix in five hours! :thumbsup:

If Any Thing Keep The Chain And Use The Brake Otherwise If Chain Is Off Already Just Put In Gear And Hammer It With The Impact Gun And It Will Pop Right Off Remember Its Only On Their With 23 Ftlbs Not To Tight

Transworld showed a cool trick that I used recently. Take the handle of a basic hammer (or anything resembling it i guess) and lay it across the top of the swingarm/through the spokes of your rear wheel. Will hold the wheel in place while you take the front sprocket off. Puts way less tension on your spokes then coming over some 50' table top.