Sign in to follow this  

valve adjustment help

I am looking for someone to help me adjust my valves on a 05 CRF 450r. I have had the bike for a year done all the wrenching myself. I checked the valve clearences last week and both exaust valves are .001 out of spec. The shop wants 160.00 to shim them. I don't really mind paying the money but I want to learn how to do it myself and I am a little afraid to tackle it my self. I am fairly mechanicly inclined and have the hot cams shim kit. I will pay for the work but I don't want to just drop it off and have it done, that doesn't help me next time they go out of spec. I live in the Vancouver WA area if anyone wants to help me out let me know.

Shane at Barton Built Racing in Tumwater could do the job for alot cheaper. I am sure he wouldnt mind showing you how its done. He is a expert on the crf's. Call him at 360-923-1912. After its done, you could go riding at Straddleline.

if they are out by .001 then you are already done

your shims are in steps of .002 (.05mm)

usually shim motor specs are given in a "range" (like .006-.008)

if you are saying yours is out of the upper or lower end of the span, then you can likely get by with a shim change

if they are out by .001 then you are already done

your shims are in steps of .002 (.05mm)

usually shim motor specs are given in a "range" (like .006-.008)

if you are saying yours is out of the upper or lower end of the span, then you can likely get by with a shim change

I think he's saying they are .001 out of tolerance, meaning .002 from nominal.

I could show you the ropes if ya want. I just shimmed mine, and have replaced left side case, replaced a piston and replace valves, ect…; I know the motor pretty well.

I live in Salmon Creek and work in Camas.

John

ok, that makes things easy.

on an "even" sized shim (like your Hot cams set)one size change will get you in the park 2 will get you to the other side.

Honda factory shims are sometimes "half sized" (2.50-2.52 2.55-2.58 3.00)which may make a difference in what your replacement size is.

keep track of which one came from each retainer.

take note of your timing (cam to crank)before releasing the tensioner.

450's are fairly simple, four bolts and the whole cam carrier comes out.

the shim buckets will stay inside the carrier, and the shims will usually stick inside the buckets. Get your hand under the assembly as soon as you can in case one of those pieces slides out.

when you reassemble, put the shim in the valve retainer(like the exhaust is)and oil the buckets, and put them back into the carrier, put the carrier on that way. make sure your rocker arm doesnt kick the ex shims out when you set the carrier on, and be sure the decomp arm is rotated correctly to sit on the rocker

after you are all back together, rotate the engine by hand, reset it and verify your settings

its not a difficult job, just pay attention to the little things.

I'm surprised you got by this long without shimming anything

which way are they out tight or loose?

The ebay link you referenced is for the valve adjust video from Motoopwer. Motopower has quite a few instructional DVD's for your bike. Check out www.motopowervideo.com. Good luck.

They are tight. This is my first MX bike so I never rev the crap out of it and I change the oil and air filter every other ride. I think that is why they have stayed put up to this point.