Sign in to follow this  

Be careful out there guys (and gals) ...

I went riding yesterday at easily the most beautiful track I have seen to date. However the day ended up going south badly because of an accident on the track. There was a blind downhill jump and a slower rider was on the middle to left side of the track and was landed on by another rider. Lets make sure we let people know where to be on the track if they seem to be having a rough time.

Words cant express seeing this poor guy mangled up with his bike, it really made me sick to my stomach. He had to be taken to the hospital via aircare. I dont know his condition, but I know he looked really bad. When EMS arrived they had a morphine drip going in him immideatly to ease the pain. He ended up bending his handlebars badly because the force of the impact pushed his chest down onto them.

Guys, I know many of you are extremely fast, but please watch out for slower riders. Understand that many of them know the rules, but we are all human and slip up, so a little bit of caution goes a really long way.

The guys first name was Bob, I heard his last name and talked with some of hids friends but I dont remember what they said his last name was. He was around 50 years old. I hope the guy is going to be ok.

:thumbsup:

And so this doesnt start an argument about the people running the track. They had a flagger at the top of the hill but no one thought the guy was in any danger, the person that landed on him flew a lot further down the hill than anyone expected.

Edit : Since this post is longer than one page, ill update the first post as well.

Bob Patton passed away this morning due to injuries he sustained from the crash.

I will keep his famlies in my prayers.

sorry to hear that, and excellent advice, goes to show how unpredictable this sport is. Good luck and if you hear anything, could you please report back?

sorry to hear that, and excellent advice, goes to show how unpredictable this sport is. Good luck and if you hear anything, could you please report back?

I sure will. I talked to the group of people that were friends of his, so hopefully I will hear something.

when im at the track i always slow way down when someone slow is in front of me. i make sure that they know im there before i pass them. i know how they feel because there are a lot of people who r faster than me at the track.

Yup

jumps and down hills that are a blind turn are scarry even if your the faster of them.

I have seen some pretty fast guys come out of a jump and right smack in front of them is a slower rider.

hope Bob gets better

Just found some info off the track's website :

***Bob Patton was injured today (8/27) during practice. He was CareFlighted to Miami Valley Hospital - at this time (Sun 6:40pm) we know that he is in ICU but have been unable to talk to any family or friends. Please keep Bob and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

this is why I don't ride mx very often. I'm not afraid of hurting myself (that much) because I know I suck and take it easy, it's the other yahoo's i'm afraid of.

My prayers go out to both, and the AMA needs to address the flagging issue, each district has different rules, some say just be carefull, and others say no jumping and slow single file 1st gear..

Please - if you talk to Bob tell him that everyone here and at RiderDown.org is pulling for him. If you have any other info please let us know and maybe we can help.

Man that sucks.... a lot. I hope he recovers nice and quick. Hope this didnt ruin his thoughts about riding. If theres any word on his condition in a few weeks, let us know.

Our orv park does open track during the week. There is usually about 15 riders on the track at any given time. The only person there is the gatekeeper, there are no flaggers so it is very important to watch for other people. If there is someone behind me i will let them pass, but every once in a while there will be some rich snob terrorizing the slower guys for being in the way. Its only a matter of time before it happens here. Take it easy, at least at open track or practice. Im sorry to hear about Bob, get better buddy!

this is why I don't ride mx very often. I'm not afraid of hurting myself (that much) because I know I suck and take it easy, it's the other yahoo's i'm afraid of.

I agree with this here. Riding MX does scare me a bit because I know I'd be the "Bob" out there taking it easy and slow.

I wish him the very best.

Ya just have to watch and be careful

The bad part is the fast kids that arent that smart yet are very dangerous too all of us

i watch and am amazed how fast a kid or guy can be but not think about others on the track

Almost had to whoop a couple of asses for there antics

I went riding yesterday at easily the most beautiful track I have seen to date. However the day ended up going south badly because of an accident on the track. There was a blind downhill jump and a slower rider was on the middle to left side of the track and was landed on by another rider. Lets make sure we let people know where to be on the track if they seem to be having a rough time.

That track section sounds like an ideal spot for an "option line" (with appropriate signage) that slower riders can use to avoid a repeat of this situation.

A lot of the time the flaggers suck. You would think the track promoters would train the flag people better. A few years ago when RC crashed into Windham in practice over a small downhill jump, the flagger was waving the flag at the bottom of the jump where Windham crashed! The Best RC could do was to see the flag while in the air.