Sign in to follow this  

Oil check??

Can anyone tell me the correct way to check my oil? I stood bike up straight and checked it and was down about 3/4 quart. Added and went for a 10 mile ride. When I got back I checked again and was way over full. I guess I should have warmed it up then checked it. Is this the correct way to do it? I don't have an owners manual so I don't know the correct way to check it. Is there any danger in having over the limit on the dipstick? Thanks,Skid. p.s. I might have to sell the Z cause of a back issue if anyone is interested. 04 DRZ 1600 miles,R4 White bros. exhaust,White Bros. skid plate ,gel seatall engine and hand protection. Brand new Dunlop 606's. Etc. 85% road/ 15% logging roads and I am 50 and take care of my stuff. $3800.00 you pick up. This will kill me to have to sell. P.M. me I can't deliver.

Your suppose to warm bike for three minutes and then let it cool for three minutes before checking oil level...I will still get conflicting readings using this method. Seems more consistent if I ride the bike around the block a few times to get it warm...let it sit for 3-5 minutes...and then check.

Sorry about the back, me personally..I would look into rehabbing before I sold, but that is me.....