Sign in to follow this  

1985 XR80R Carb Tune.

I'm fixin' up this xr80, getting it ready for the kids to ride.

The carb was shot, so I picked up an '98 XR100 carb and bolted it on.

It runs ok I guess. The motor's probably tired, but everything sounds good, doesn't leak or miss.

The problem is when you wack the throttle on the bottom end, it literally falls on it's face. Just bog....

Is there anyway to tune this out?

The carb I got has an extra tube coming out the petcock side. I dunno where or what to with the hose. There isn't any port to plug it into... I blocked the tube, and the bike stalls and dies. Open to atmosphere it runs good.

Once ya get the motor revved, it does ok for a 20 year old XR80.

The wrong jets are probably in the carb. Check the stock jet size for the XR100 and XR80. Next is checking the slide and needle.

Bigger is not always better with carbs. Sometimes a smaller carb with give the bike better bottom end.

You may not get the bog completely out. When you go to a bigger carb especially a carb that is too big you can get a bad bog. I say raise the needle one notch(lower the clip) and see if that fixes your problem.

You can "wack" the throttle. It has to be rolled on. These carbs can't deliver enough fuel with the sudden air. That's why bigger bikes have accelerator pumps.