Sign in to follow this  

fuel filter limitation/fuel problem?

My bike has started hesitating on the highway as if it was running low on fuel, even with nearly a full tank. Switching to reserve usually solves the problem. I removed the fuel petcock yesterday and removed some trash hoping this would solve the problem. The trash was on the reserve pickup since it's lower in the tank and the main pickup was clean. Filled it up and rode it last night and it started again, switched to reserve and it continued this time. I got off the next exit and took the backroads the rest of the way. I've never encountered this problem on side roads where the speed is under 60, only on the highway 60-80. Is the stock fuel filter not capable of flowing enough fuel for my mods on the highway? 2001 DRZ400S (motard) with 13.3 high comp piston, intake/exhaust Hotcams, Edelbrock carb, air box mod, 15/38 gearing. I picked the bike up 4 weeks ago and the previous owner did all the work himself and had the bike tuned on a dyno. Of course he never experienced this problem before.

Any ideas?

I would expect the fuel system will flow enough. Take a look at the tank venting. Maybe try running with the gas cap loose.

Try removing the Charcoal Canister if you bike has it still or came with it. May not be the problem but can't hurt to try, it effected my bike a lot. Constantly acted like it was running out of gas. :thumbsup:

they make good door stops.

Now Eddie, you know darn well they are not that bad.....

. They make fine book ends, paper weights, page holders for your shop manuals... Lots of uses for that carb.. Don't be so negative all the time.