Sign in to follow this  

I tried a modified XR650L

I was out for a trail ride with a bunch of guys yesterday and I asked a buddy if I could try his newly purchased 2006 XR650L. The bike was jetted (165 main I think), a new FMF as well as a 14t sprocket up front and a 45t at the rear.

For reference purpose, I have a stock 2000 dr650. Well, I was totally impressed with the crisp power generated by the XRL and how light the front end came up. If I modified the DR in the same way, could I expect similar results? Or for those of you who have experience with both bikes, is the XRL simply a powerful bike?

No, the Honda is not a more powerfull bike unless you bore it to 670cc.

The Honda pulls better wheelies because of it's low gearing and short wheelbase/high seat.

Try riding that Honda @ 80mph on the interstate and you will see what effect that high gearing and seat height does for highway "cruis-ability".

Notice the vibration too.

If you are big and tall, the XRL is a very good dirt bike. The DR is better for street and smaller folk.

I think the DR motor is better than the Honda. Put a Dyno jet kit and a pipe and 14t sprocket on the DR and it'll outpull that XRL though it'll never do wheelies as easy.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the DR. I never realized a jetted bike would make such a difference.

It was like night and day.

My DR650 is like a whole different bike after sprocket, jetting, slide mod, air box mod and K&N filter. A friend rode it last weekend that had ridden it when I first bought it and he was blown away by the difference !! Just wish the gas mileage hadn't taken such a hit.

My DR650 is like a whole different bike after sprocket, jetting, slide mod, air box mod and K&N filter. A friend rode it last weekend that had ridden it when I first bought it and he was blown away by the difference !! Just wish the gas mileage hadn't taken such a hit.

What kind of a hit on mileage are we talking about? loss of 5-10 mpg?

What kind of a hit on mileage are we talking about? loss of 5-10 mpg?

About 10mpg or like 20%

About 10mpg or like 20%

This being established, the increase in performance is definitely worth the loss of mileage (for myself) when mostly trail riding.