Sign in to follow this  

5'2" wife, CR's and 4 strokes...

I recently purchased a YZ85 for my wife only to realize the "light switch" power band of the small 2 stroke is not conducive to New England trail riding. The cure? I ripped the motor out of our new TTR125 and inserted into the YZ chassis.

P1010004.jpg

Simply un unreal bike, certainly for small people and enduro riding. Now, we need more HP ( a lot) and I would like to see her on a bigger chassis and larger wheels. Now for the reason I'm posting on the Honda forum.

A CR85 expert comes to mind as a donor bike (it would need to be lowered substantially) and in would go the lump from a CRF250X. I ride a 250X and find the power, magic button and smoothness to be awesome for our style of riding and can't imagine letting a 120 pound person loose on one sitting in a CR 85 chassis.

Does anyone have any comments on 5'2" riders on the Expert (not for MX) and does anyone have one for sale in the New England area?

Service Honda already builds and sells the bike you are describing. They call it the CRF Junior.

Neat bike- it's on my list when I have the money.

Your wife might suprise you in her ability to handle something like that(it's only 190#). It's the nice thing about 4 strokes- you can use as much throttle as you want with out fear of a light switch powerband.

A buddy of mine and his GF both ride Husky TE510's(she's 5'11") - it's her first dirt bike and she manages just fine- she only uses as much power as she feels comfortable with at any given time.

BJ

Service Honda already builds and sells the bike you are describing. They call it the CRF Junior.

Neat bike- it's on my list when I have the money.

Your wife might suprise you in her ability to handle something like that(it's only 190#). It's the nice thing about 4 strokes- you can use as much throttle as you want with out fear of a light switch powerband.

A buddy of mine and his GF both ride Husky TE510's(she's 5'11") - it's her first dirt bike and she manages just fine- she only uses as much power as she feels comfortable with at any given time.

BJ

They want $10k for one!!! I can build it for $5000 and have a mountain of spare parts for my X from the donor bike.

And she is already surprising me with her riding ability. I agree with the "using as much as you need" scenario as well. Thanks for the advice.

Id suggest an 80 over an 85, they are WAY less money and are not in demand at all. I sold my cr80 ( pictures in my garage) for 800 bucks ......

i would try putting a yz250f motor in a yz85 before a crf250 into a cr85

those motors last forever, and they' rip

i would try putting a yz250f motor in a yz85 before a crf250 into a cr85

those motors last forever, and they' rip

why not put the wr250f engine in the yz frame? then she will have e start and a headlight, plus she can unplug the engine as she gets better, everyone wins.

Two real reasons-

1.) we have a Yz85/TTR125 hybrid now and I just feel the small wheels are holding her back. We won't know until I build a bigger-wheeled version.

2.) I ride a CRF250R and 250x so I have oil filters, gaskets, clutches, oils, etc already. Having another of the same motors in the family simply makes eveything easier.

I recently purchased a YZ85 for my wife only to realize the "light switch" power band of the small 2 stroke is not conducive to New England trail riding. The cure? I ripped the motor out of our new TTR125 and inserted into the YZ chassis.

P1010004.jpg

Simply un unreal bike, certainly for small people and enduro riding. Now, we need more HP ( a lot) and I would like to see her on a bigger chassis and larger wheels. Now for the reason I'm posting on the Honda forum.

A CR85 expert comes to mind as a donor bike (it would need to be lowered substantially) and in would go the lump from a CRF250X. I ride a 250X and find the power, magic button and smoothness to be awesome for our style of riding and can't imagine letting a 120 pound person loose on one sitting in a CR 85 chassis.

Does anyone have any comments on 5'2" riders on the Expert (not for MX) and does anyone have one for sale in the New England area?

I have the expert model and i am 5'2" and i lowered the two inches and it is great.When i get older i can higher the seat it rocks.

My girlfriend is 5'7 and the first bike I bought her was a 05 KX100 (smooth power). I also was shocked at how fast her riding ability came along. I let her ride my CR250 and was amazed at how well she handled it. She got off and told me she wanted a bigger bike. Her 07 CRF250R is comming in next week. I think the small wheels and lighter suspension were holding her back. She doesnt want the X because she thinks electric start is for whimps. :thumbsup:

Any route you go with a hybrid is going to be $$. Why not a CRF230 in a BBR perimeter frame? e-start, more power, bling factor. Hop it up to a 240 with a big bore kit. Rides on CR85 suspension, which can be lowered if necessary. You mentioned the 85 expert -- is she on 17/14 wheels now? The 85 expert and the kx100 are both 19/16. If you want full size bike I think you have to start with a 250X and lower it.

Oh, and yes there are some in new england for sale. go to NEDB.com -- there's a woman selling a mint '05 expert. PM me if you want another fellow whose son races Honda 85's -- he might be able to hook you up. He's on the MA/CT border south of Springfield, though, so it's a bit of a haul for you if you are ME. He's got an '06 250R for sale too.

Any route you go with a hybrid is going to be $$. Why not a CRF230 in a BBR perimeter frame? e-start, more power, bling factor. Hop it up to a 240 with a big bore kit. Rides on CR85 suspension, which can be lowered if necessary. You mentioned the 85 expert -- is she on 17/14 wheels now? The 85 expert and the kx100 are both 19/16. If you want full size bike I think you have to start with a 250X and lower it.

The BBR frame alone is over $3k and quickly adds up to over $8k before it's done and it's still pretty tall and generally in line with a 125 sized bike. Her YZ is 14/17 and it is a nightmare over 25mph in anything loose. Believe me, the CRF250 is inconcievable for a 5'2" 120 pound women. She hopped on mine and literally tipped over, and she's VERY strrong and super fit (ultra-endurance runner, triathlete, etc). Our riding is all trails and very technical and touching the ground at ALL times is imperative. A CRF won't go that low and is a 235 pound bike full of gas. This hybrid will be over 50 pounds less than that.

I own a fab shop so the metalwork is not only not a problem, it is REALLY fun for me. I built everytihg from the motor mounts,frame rails, exhaust, brake lever and air box on her current bike.

And another thing -- BBR has put the 250R motor in a BBR frame that uses CR85 components. It was in one of the mags. I am hoping to build one if BBR starts making the frame. So far, they only make a frame for a CRF150 and 230. All BBR bikes are pricey, just like the service honda, b/c they have to buy a 4 stroke, a CR85 and of course the BBR frame. $10K whether you build it or they build it for you. But more fun for you to build it. That's what you're paying for. Go to the BBR website and you'll see a 150 and a 230 rolling chassis for sale from which they tore out the motors for customer bikes. I have a 150 rolling chassis in my workshop now, waiting to be parted out.

A CRF 230 with 85 suspension won't go low enough for her? People are doing that all the time. Doesn't that get you a 19/16 bike? Otherwise, people having been mashing 150's and XR200's into 85 frames for a while, no? If you are a fabrication guy, then that should be right up your alley. Go to Planet Minis forum -- there are projects being discussed where people are putting Lifan 200's in 85's. I think if you want to use the 85 frame, there are lots of options. Heck, if a KX500 motor can be put into a KX85 frame I have to believe you can fit anything into an 85 frame.

Oh, and yes there are some in new england for sale. go to NEDB.com -- there's a woman selling a mint '05 expert. PM me if you want another fellow whose son races Honda 85's -- he might be able to hook you up. He's on the MA/CT border south of Springfield, though, so it's a bit of a haul for you if you are ME. He's got an '06 250R for sale too.

I've been in touch with her regarding the '05 but she is only a few hundred under a new '06. Those "4 ride only" bikes can be scary- mistakingly running staight gas or forgetting the drain plug can be a bad thing if you know what I mean. At some point I'd rather buy new and at least be able to sell the 85cc lump for good money.

Here's how it all adds up for me-

New '06 CR85 Expert $2800 OTD

New '06 CRF250X $5500 OTD

Total $8300

Sell 85cc lump -$1000

Sell or use remaining

CRF parts -$2000

Total out $5300

Bike weight 195 pounds, seat height 33", wheelbase 50" as compared to 58.3" for the CRF and on and on and on.

If you had a contact for possible used 85 that would be great since I don't really care about the motor anyway.

Thanks for the help,

-tom

A CRF 230 with 85 suspension won't go low enough for her? People are doing that all the time. Doesn't that get you a 19/16 bike? Otherwise, people having been mashing 150's and XR200's into 85 frames for a while, no? If you are a fabrication guy, then that should be right up your alley. Go to Planet Minis forum -- there are projects being discussed where people are putting Lifan 200's in 85's. I think if you want to use the 85 frame, there are lots of options. Heck, if a KX500 motor can be put into a KX85 frame I have to believe you can fit anything into an 85 frame.

Yea, putting the motor in the frame is the easy part!! The biggest reason for the X motor is that I already have an R and an X and plan on riding them for a while. I already have a TON of spare parts (clucthes, a spare Rekluse, oil filters, gaskets, jet kits, complete carbs, etc.) so I just want to keep it the same.

The CR and YZ 85's don't have power vavles, the KX and RM 85's do. I think the KX100 is the most ridable of the small 2-strokes. The extra CC's help. Don't put a FMF pipe on it though, it makes it harder to ride, the stock pipe is much smoother. Also a 12oz FWW is too heavy, if you go for one, do 8-10oz.

The other small 2-stroke to look at is the KTM 105SX, but I have no experience with that bike. The CR and YZ are really for intermediate to advanced riders, the RM or KX are much better beginner bikes and can still be raced.

The only reason to get a CR85 is if you thinking about making a BBR out of it if it is too much for her. The BBR would probably be best, but its a lot of $$$.