Sign in to follow this  

SMR 510 Exhaust?

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I apologize in advance for this being so long winded. I just bought an '06 SMR 510 a week ago and I had a couple questions about exhaust. The guys at GP motorcycles in San Diego re-jet the bike and have it running perfect, but the exhaust is pretty quiet. I wanted an exhaust that is louder just so people hear me a little earlier when riding on the street. I was also told that exhaust helps quite a bit on these bikes which is another bonus!!! Seeing that the aftermarket options are pricey and very limited, I had a couple ideas, but I wanted some advice. I have been welding/fabricating for quite a while now and have mig and tig welders, plasma cutter etc. in my garage. Can I just cut the rivets on the stock exhaust, remove the cap, cut down the exhaust itself and re-rivet/mount the end cap which would result in an exhaust that was 2/3 as long and get a louder exhaust/less back pressure? Or, I was also thinking of getting an FMF pipe and just welding the flange off the stock exhaust onto the FMF so it will mount up. Some of the FMF pipes have a moveable strap to mount it to the sub frame which will make things a little easier as well. If I go the FMF route, will I need to get exhaust for say a 525 or will a 450 exhaust be big enough? Again, sorry this was so long and thanks in advance for any recommendations. -Sean

Leo Vince X3 works good or the Arrow's

I found my Leo for 239 on the net for my 610

I've got an Arrow muffler from www.motostrano.com it works great, a little louder, more power, mnts perfectly, and is a work of art in titanium. Arrow makes the stk system so their mufflers fit perfectly. The stk muffler has a reverse cone in the end so it is tapered to a smaller dia., the Arrow is a straight thru design. I'm very happy with mine, Mike

How do you like your SM 610?I am still thinking about buying one.

Thanks

05 TE 450

How do you like your SM 610?I am still thinking about buying one.

Thanks

05 TE 450

I like it alot. Perfect for longer trips once you get the seat modified! Not as high strung as the 450/510. Cruises at 75mph easily and handles very good. It is becoming my more "all around" bike. Use it to commute to work more and have parked the Tuono just for the longer weekend rides. Easy to work on and looks tits!

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will try what was explained in the link that Motocrash posted first, then go from there. Thanks again. -Sean