Sign in to follow this  

New bikes holding their value...your thoughts??

I'm getting so much mixed info, I thought I should ask on a general forum.I grew up riding bikes but I'm just getting back into it. Thought I'd pick up a little bike (I'm a l'il girl.lol 5'6, 110) for this season and maybe next. But I want something that will have good resale when I'm ready to upgrade.

Lots of people I know (father-in-law included) are "brand-loyal" to Honda and swear there is no other way to go!They say in a year or two it will only lose a few hundred dollars in value....they are a good bike that's why you can't find a used one...and on and on....

They have all said if I bought a new CRF100F I could easily sell it as a kid's bike. Fair enough, but how much would I lose?

The CRF150F has E-start though :thumbsup: But weighs almost 60 lbs more!Is a 150 going to appeal to as many people as a 100 when I go to sell it??

New bikes all lose value right when you take them out the dealer door.

I buy used bikes because I like mods and don't like to take the hit out the door.

Find a used bike thats been taken care of and in good condition (1,2 or 3 years old) possibly with some upgrades and you wont lose as much in resale. IMO

You just have to shop more rather then going to the dealer and pointing saying "I want that one".

Yes, a 150 will have good demand when you try to sell it. The key to buying a new bike is to get the best deal within driving distance. For me, I call the LA dealers, find the best deal then try to find a dealer within two hours to match the great deal. Also, you lose less money by finding a good deal on a clean used bike. Either way, if you pay too much, you lose more when trying to resell it after a year or two.

Thanks guys. Now if I DO go new, how much can you talk a dealer down on a new bike?? ie) '06 CRF150F is approx $3700 CAN$ and right now there is a $200 cash-back.

What should I pay, what's it worth next year??

Thanks guys. Now if I DO go new, how much can you talk a dealer down on a new bike?? ie) '06 CRF150F is approx $3700 CAN$ and right now there is a $200 cash-back.

What should I pay, what's it worth next year??

if you know you're going to upgrade next year, then i would strongly recommend against going new.

if you're lucky, u might be able to talk a dealer down 10% on the price somehow, but there is still tax and stuff that you'll never get back, and right now used bike prices are pretty depressed for whatever reason. take a look and see what the prices are like in the newspaper, ebay, cycletrader.com, etc...

GO USED!!! You are going to pay dealer fees and taxes on top of the price of the bike. If you buy a used bike off an individual, you will not have to pay this. You can buy a used bike in excellent condition for $2000 and sell it a year later for $2000. Put $200 into a pipe or something and you can sell it for $2500. Used is the way to go. You just need to find someone who understands how to care for a bike.

Regarding the brand of bike you choose...I would suggest staying brand loyal and having your family members support. I went with a Toyota when my in-laws are "American Made Only" guys. I just get a lot of "squint eye" jokes but aren't really bothered by them. I just really really really like TOYOTA!

Anyway, if brand doesn't matter to you, make life easy and keep them happy.

Velosapiens-- I think if I went with the 150 I would keep it for a while.

10% off new....??...good to know. THANKS!!

Is he going to give me story about how he can't go any lower because there is already a $200 cash-back incentive?? lol

I don't understand why people who want a bike that will hold it's value would even consider buying new. Once out the door, a new bike's value drops dramatically. And when your father in law says his new Honda will only lose a few HUNDRED dollars in value over a few years, he couldn't be anymore wrong. If (as a scenario) he purchased a CRF250R new in 2004 for apprx. $6000, then went to sell it as a used bike in 2006, I doubt he could get much more than $3500 for it.

Velosapiens-- I think if I went with the 150 I would keep it for a while.

lol, yep, you'll keep it until you learn to ride a little and take a spin on someone else's kx100. :thumbsup: (which weighs 80-100 lbs less)

yes, the dealer will give u a song and dance about how he can't go any lower. bottom line is if he thinks he can sell it to someone else for full price, he has no incentive to sell it to you for less unless he has a bunch of them just sitting around gathering dust.

The biggest mistake many make I think is buying too small a bike right off. I would buy the 230. Will still fit you and meet your needs longer as you become better (which doesnt take long). Seen a bunh of people start on the 150 and quickly out grow it and want a 230 or more.

Also, all the dealers I have ever purchased from waive the freigh and setup fee.

The dealers around here want about $2,500 for a new CRF100. I bought Mrs. Dub an 03 XR100, which is basically the same bike, for $1,250 earlier this season. The guy I bought it from purchased it used in 2005 for $1,250.

I would advise you to take a look at what the same bike your looking at is selling for on the street. A good avenue to do this on is eBay. I go on and move a few of them to my watch list, and wait and see what they go off at.

I'm currently watching CRF230's. I'm really surprised at how many of them go thru with no bids at all. Which tells me resale is not that great.

You have to be careful when someone tells you what your resale "will" be. Especially in the dirt bike market. Alot of times they are basing their statements on what they believe their bike would sell for. Reality is often quite different.

You can also check out the classified on this site, see what someone is asking for a particular model, then look at the date it was listed. If its been on for a while, you know the price may be a little high.

Oh--my--goodness! I kid you not, hubby just pulled up with a bike that we test drove on the weekend. :thumbsup::ride: NOT a Honda! My poor FIL is gonna have a fit.lol. This is a COMPLETELY different bike. I don't know what to think...... used RM100. It was the dealer's daughter's so we knew it would be a good bike. I guess I'll "start" with a 2-stroke........Thanks guys!! Guess my bike chose me this time! :applause:

This is a COMPLETELY different bike. I don't know what to think...... used RM100.

about 100 times the motorcycle that a crf150 is. i predict you will have more fun and get better much faster on the RM. that's a really great bike for small and light person.

similar to the kx100, so depending on the terrain u ride, u may find lower gearing to be helpful. also a flywheel weight made it easier for low-speed riding and harder to stall. have fun.

I'm absolutely thrilled. But my buddies were saying I should stick to a 4-stroke trail bike for a little while, instead of jumping into MX. ??? They are MX and former MX guys.(that's like saying I can't learn. ) Oh gawd, what are they gonna say?LOL

:thumbsup::ride::applause: I'z be havin' fuuuun tonight! :applause::applause::applause:

But my buddies were saying I should stick to a 4-stroke trail bike for a little while, instead of jumping into MX.

what they really mean when they say that is "you're a frail little timid girl w/o the skill or adventurousness to handle a real motorcycle. now go in the kitchen and get dinner started." ignore those sexist pigs. :thumbsup:

my ex-gf who really was a frail and timid girl grew out of her ttr125l in no time, and had WAAAAAY more fun on the kx100. little kids learn to ride those bikes, so how hard can they be?

...... used RM100. It was the dealer's daughter's so we knew it would be a good bike.
:ride: I can't count how may times I've looked at a used car at an auto dealership, and been told "it's basically a new car but the owner's wife drove it around for a few weeks so we have to sell it as used", I think you got the equivalent "motorcycle dealer" line :applause:. That 100 should be a great bike for you, with a few of the right engine mods like Velo mentioned RM/KX-100's make great trail bikes for someone your size. Enjoy it :thumbsup:

LOL Matte, I hear what you're saying! But REALLY, it was his daughter's. We live in a really small city, so we all know that it was her's. Thanks......I will enjoy!!

Sounds like you made a good choice. First bikes should be used anyways. After you ride that bike for a while, you will have a much better idea of what you'd really want to buy.

You won't loose very much, if any at all.

RM100 is a solid bike for your size and also a real one that you can adjust to your liking. Get the flywheel weight and ride it like you stole it.

You will be fine.