What is happening to T-Talk?

Well I've been a little too busy to visit this B.B. for a little while and to my utter dismay when I return I find closed topics, revoked memberships, and petty insults being flung about! ? WILD FX started what I would consider a legitimate post that quickly deteriorated into a mud-slinging mess! The guy says that he got better answers on the DR side and he gets crucified for it!!? C'mon - give me a break. The response that I would have expected would have been a flurry of carefully crafted, intelligent comments on the pros and cons of both bikes. With the exception of NH Kevin's response, the man gets slammed for where he lives, what and how he rides.

I know that many of you respect Taffy and his input as a long-time member, but I.M.H.O. telling anyone to **** - off shows disrespect and immaturity, and has no place here. If it was meant to be a joke, I for one did not see the humour in it.

You can all spare the "he should search the archives for that topic" rhetoric as well. Every topic should be considered open for discussion as new members and new perspectives come forward almost daily. That is one of the great things about this B.B. and why I keep coming back.

In the past I have seen some fairly heated debates here and none of them deteriorated to name-calling or mean-spirited comments. With all the bad news in the world to-day, it was nice to come here where a common interest bonded us all and everyone seemed to get along. I guess that is no longer the case. :D

I truly hope that I have not offended anyone with these comments, it was just something that I had to get off my chest. Props to Steve, Bryan, and Bill for a thankless job well done. What you guys do shows everyone how great Thumper Talk really is. Later - P.Z.

Pete,

Thanks, and well stated. I jointed the board a short time ago, but thought at that time there was a sense of responciblity amount the members for civil discussion. I had noticed that it was more tense than I remembered, but thought it might just be me not being familiar with the board. ?

The old saying, "No question is a dumb one", holds true when someone doesn't know something but is willing to ask. If being an old member means the new ones don't count, then this board will become crusty very shortly.

Thanks for speaking out.

Terry

You've noticed that too?

Hmm.

If you are sick of a topic being repeated...DON'T REPLY TO IT!! Someone who is willing to help WILL reply. I sure have a few times. And hey, perhaps some new info on an old topic may come out, if someone brings up up again, and doesn't just search the archives.

Moderators and administrators do a good job. And hey, since we are using this site for free....umm, they aren't making money on it either....at least, not a lot. Kudos.

shut up. you're all mud-for brains morons and i know better than you do. you are right and i'm wrong... err.. wait that don't sound right... anyways,...go cry to your mommy or sumthing...

:D:D:D?

J/K ...LOL

good post... i agree ... i am a beginning rider, and i come on here for advice and comments and don't really care about these peoples' petty quarreling when i am in search on sumthing. i wish they would quit wasting our time having to read thru their garbage to find our answers.

peace out. :D

[ November 28, 2001: Message edited by: xrracer36 ]

Pete Z,

If I remember correctly you flipped me an awful lot-o $hit on a few posts a while back when i aske what kind of oil to use. I was a new mwmber then also, And I believe the moderator shut that topic down. I am not trying to start anything but "Practice what you preach" Don't be a hypocrite.

lewichris, I honestly don't remember anything like that although I have commented a few times on the oil issue. I recall slamming Castrol on occasion,but not anyone personally. I may have even suggested that you do a search on the topic; it is good advice, but not the only answer. Do you remember the title of the post? I would like to review it if possible.

This site is getting very big with a strong base. People on this forum have a great sense of humor. We have comedians, hot heads, scholars, and good old fashion down to earth people. Thats what makes this site so great. Just post your question and it will get anwsered ? Doug

Guys, I have really enjoyed TT lately, I've seen alot of new members and I really like it, I've never told anyone to use the search engine in a rude way. I think that alot of us would never talk to someone in person the way that we talk on the computer. It's funny how we all have huge gonads when we are sitting at our computers and could easily tell someone whom we've never met to go to hell. When guys get into a debate I love it! I can learn from it, take the "EngineIce" debate on the CRF side. Oh my god, there are some guys that know about cooling but there's also a debate whether it's snake oil or not. (great reading). When someone asks a redundant question I just move on, you really can't blame them for being so excited about getting a new bike. Yes, I've even gotten into it with Taffy a long time ago, sometimes it's hard to understand where he's coming from, is he rude? Probably. But I don't think he means to piss anyone off to a great degree, I understand he's from England and his humor is quite different than the rest of us (Benny Hill, Young ones, Absolutly Fabulous Etc...) But he knows a HELL of alot about a Carb. More than I care to. How many times do I have to hear "It's all about the rider" or "just get out there and ride". EVERYBODY knows these things but on the internet you will find people to make science out of the littlest things. It makes good reading! :D

Bryan,Steve and Bill: You guys are waaaay ?

Originally posted by Pete Z:

lewichris, I honestly don't remember anything like that although I have commented a few times on the oil issue. I recall slamming Castrol on occasion,but not anyone personally. I may have even suggested that you do a search on the topic; it is good advice, but not the only answer. Do you remember the title of the post? I would like to review it if possible.

yea i looked for it but i couldn't find it. It was called "best kind of oil" I remember them pulling it from the board. I am not holding a grudge or anything i just remember being on the defensive agensed you for some remarks you made to me in that post. I was just making a point.

Well heres my take on all of this....

I am relatively new to this board as well since I only purchased my WR a little over 2 months ago. Without this board I would have known nothing of the free mods and trick little to do's that you have all shared with me here. I do not like the name calling and "go to the DR board" etc etc etc....rhetoric myself either, so what I do when i read a thread with that stuff (especially when started by a new member asking questions because he's as excited about his new toy as I was/am) is to repost the information he is looking for right in the middle of the thread, this does 2 things in my opinion (1) it (respectfully) throws egg in the face of the member who's thrashing the new guy and (2) it shows the new guy that even among the crap and rhetoric there are members who truly care and are willing to forgo the need to appear "all knowing" by looking up the info in the search section themselves to help a fellow member. I may also gently point out that the information was found using the search function for the new members future reference......call me stuck up or whatever but I feel this makes me look wayyyyyyyyy more bitchen than posting some negative spew while pounding my chest like Tarzan hopeing that I appear to be a seasoned WR veteran.......kill em with kindness.....man it works everytime.

In the last few months I have noticed the stress level go up a notch or two. Then when you think its just about to get back to normal, some other yahoo comes along and starts it up all over again. Example, remember Lenny28 or whoever he was. Then we got Benny sending really really nasty messages to people on this board. People who I highly respect such as Mike and Kevin and so on. These guys have to be two of the most descent nicest people you would ever want to meet. It is great to have newbies on board hell, I have been one on three different sides. But, I have always treated the people who have responded to me with respect and appreciation even when they may have gotten on my case a little with gentle reminders or admonishments. After all, it is we that are going to them for free advice. Some of these guys have spent a fortune in time and money to learn all this stuff. They then turn around and share their knowledge and experience with us and don't charge a dime! The very least we should expect of ourselves and others is to be respectful of those who so generously mentor to us. When that happens this forum is a very happy, relaxed and, fun place to be. I'm not sure if that is .02 or .03 cents worth? ?

Originally posted by Pete Z:

Well I've been a little too busy to visit this B.B. for a little while and to my utter dismay when I return I find closed topics, revoked memberships, and petty insults being flung about! ? WILD FX started what I would consider a legitimate post that quickly deteriorated into a mud-slinging mess! The guy says that he got better answers on the DR side and he gets crucified for it!!? C'mon - give me a break. The response that I would have expected would have been a flurry of carefully crafted, intelligent comments on the pros and cons of both bikes. With the exception of NH Kevin's response, the man gets slammed for where he lives, what and how he rides.

I know that many of you respect Taffy and his input as a long-time member, but I.M.H.O. telling anyone to **** - off shows disrespect and immaturity, and has no place here. If it was meant to be a joke, I for one did not see the humour in it.

You can all spare the "he should search the archives for that topic" rhetoric as well. Every topic should be considered open for discussion as new members and new perspectives come forward almost daily. That is one of the great things about this B.B. and why I keep coming back.

In the past I have seen some fairly heated debates here and none of them deteriorated to name-calling or mean-spirited comments. With all the bad news in the world to-day, it was nice to come here where a common interest bonded us all and everyone seemed to get along. I guess that is no longer the case.

I truly hope that I have not offended anyone with these comments, it was just something that I had to get off my chest. Props to Steve, Bryan, and Bill for a thankless job well done. What you guys do shows everyone how great Thumper Talk really is. Later - P.Z.

Just to clarify, only one membership has been revoked to date (Benny). We gave him ample opportunity to cooperate. He chose to ignore our repeated requests to play nice. Hopefully he'll be the first and last. :D

TT's position on the posting of topics that have been hashed out is to ignore them if you have nothing to add. How difficult can this be? I realize that many of you are TT veterans, however, we need to give our newer members a break. Once they spend more time on the site, they'll begin to understand the best way to

get the info they need. :D If the rule was to only post something that hasn't be posted before, at some point the well of topics would run dry. :D

As for the back-biting lately, we prefer that you keep each other in check. Bill, Steve, and I don't want to be the TT police! :D We have better things to do, like improving the content and features of TT! :D Clearly, we all need to ride more often! I get grumpy without enough time in the saddle myself!

Let's all step back, take a breath, and get back to having fun! :D

Paul got spanked by a 520 EXC:

His best bud never beat him before but now his bud has a 520 and spanked him so Paul had to run out and get a 520 too. Paul when will you learn it's the rider not the bike. Admit it you do love that button don't ya.