Sign in to follow this  

Remote start for Honda Eu3000 generator?

Are any of the kits out there better than other ones?I really only need the remote to be able to work from about 10 feet(inside of my TH to the tounge of the trailer where the genny is).The only thing that worries me is that I cannot have anything mounted on the outside of the generator.The reason for that is because the generator box we have is just big enough to fit over the generator and there is no extra room.

I saw one from Sun Honda on ebay.Is it any good or is there a better unit?

I have the one from Sun Honda. It works awesome. I believe they claim up to 30 feet but I'd have to look again. I have the key fob mounted near the door of my 30 foot Jayco and I stage the genny at the opposite rear corner of the trailer. It works through all the walls every time!

Here's the FOB, it's black: new-2.jpg

Also put wheels on it to make it mobile at the campsite: 120_2044.jpg

Here's a pic of the trailer for distance sake. You can see it's pretty far from the door to the left rear bumper where I lock up the genny: Trailer4.jpg

Yes it is all internal. They have the installation instructions on their web site. It does require soldering onto the back of the ignition but this was not difficult. If you know how to solder you can install this kit.

To start your generator what does it require? (key, just press button, etc.) I'm not super familiiar with generators but I do install remote starts for a living. I did do an RS for a tow truck company with just a standard keyless entry kit. He just had a button that needed to be pressed for 1-2 seconds to fire it up and kill it so I used the keyless to emulate that. Most kits are very small and easy to wire in (about the size of a pack of cigarettes added to the area involved... It might save you some $ if you don't have to buy the "generator specific" kit... I run into the same scenario with motorcycle vs. car alarms all the time - people will pay hundreds of dollars more for a "motorcycle specific" alarm system when all it is is a sealed up car kit that doesn't fit so well in the tight confines of a bike. Throw a car alarm in its place and all is well (especially the customers wallet...)

Dan

To start your generator what does it require? (key, just press button, etc.)

Push and hold the center button, choke, until it starts (when cold). Press and hold the top button until it starts when warm. Usually just and second or 2. Press the red button on the bottom until the genny dies. I have a small low watt night light that I use for an indicator light. It's plugged in right below the start panel so my family doesn't try to start the genny if it's already running.

I imagine this remote is for those cold AM's when you are in your skivvies still and don't want to walk outside?

Me, I go out in my skivvies, thereby scaring everyone to start my genny, thus, ensuring my privacy :thumbsup:

Having a remote start would be cool though!!!

mx813

I purchased a remote start for my genny from Hayes Equipment I have had it for 6 months and it still doesn't work . The owner is hard to deal with if you have a problem, basically won't help unless you are a dealer. I can stop the unit but the choke won't work to start. I have heard good thing about the Sun Remote start.

You can read about the Sun Remote Start.

It is not just a switch and remote fob. You have to wire up an actuator that opens/closes the choke (mechanical pull unit on EU3000). I did read a write up on www.rv.net (search is your friend) where a dude bought all the same stuff as the Sun unit from Radio Shack and installed himself, saving a few pennies.

I thinbk i will be getting my wife one for xmas or bday. I usually go out and start, but the boy rides usually start before everyone is awake and the genny would not let them sleep. So, the wife has to go out in her skivvies for coffee in the snow at times. Not always happy.

And everyone knows if the wife is happy everyone is happy.

I purchased a remote start for my genny from Hayes Equipment I have had it for 6 months and it still doesn't work . The owner is hard to deal with if you have a problem, basically won't help unless you are a dealer. I can stop the unit but the choke won't work to start. I have heard good thing about the Sun Remote start.

I had issues with my choke that was not related to the remote start. It seemed as if the choke cable was a 1/4 inch to long and the cable would pop out of the end attached to the choke arm. I put a ty wrap around it to hold the cable in place and it works fine now. When I would use the remote start I would activate the choke and that would cause the choke cable to come loose. The genny would just turn over and wouldn't start until my ty wrap fix. Hope that made sense. Anyway it might be worth looking at.