06 450, fuel comming out of vent hose

a couple months ago I posted that I had one of those little stiffy vent hoses on my 06 450, and that gas was comming out of it. I have since put the stock hose bck on, and fuel is comming out of it. I don't know how gas is getting all the way up to the top of the tank, then up the hose. Keep in mind it is happenening with half a tank of gas, and no wipe outs. Does anybody know what is going on, or how to fix it? Could it be the extremely hot weather (100 +) ?

I'll ask the "stupid" question since no one else has yet. Are you sure you have the stock tube on the right way? The arrow points to the tank.

Yes" And if it was on backwords the gas wouldn't come out. That valve is there to ensure sh!t doesn't get in, while still allowing the tank to vent. I am wondering if I have a bad gas cap or something.

I wonder about a bad cap as well. My 04 WR does the same thing - I have one of the little stubby things with the fancy vent cap (3rd one actually). I had to safety wire the darn thing on because it would build so much preassure that it would blow off when riding.

I loosen the cap and let some of the preassure down, but it builds back up again. Let us know what you find out.

replace the vent - or gas cap

I am going to try replacing the gas cap. I don't think it's the vent because this has happened with two different style vents. Ga426owner, has this happened to you, or is your advise based on something else? thanks

Yes" And if it was on backwords the gas wouldn't come out. That valve is there to ensure sh!t doesn't get in, while still allowing the tank to vent. I am wondering if I have a bad gas cap or something.
Actually, you have that backward. The check valve allows air to enter the tank fairly freely to replace the fuel as it runs to the carb. It resists the outward flow of fuel.

I am going to try replacing the gas cap. I don't think it's the vent because this has happened with two different style vents. Ga426owner, has this happened to you, or is your advise based on something else? thanks

no but there is no other explanation - I believe

• 4 weeks later...

Alright I went riding with my new gas cap on and... ... no problems!! Not a single drop of gas came out of the vent. I pushed it pretty hard, hitting alot of woops, and jumps. If anybody else is having this problem, I think replacing the cap would be the way to go. By the way, I cheaped out and ordered an aftermarket billet cap of ebay. It is made by pit posse.