Sign in to follow this  

Oil question

Any reason not to?

I would want to run a lighter oil in the tranny...

IMO 20w-50 is too much for a wet clutch....

I run Thumper 20W-50 on the tranny side on both my CRF's for 2 years now and have yet to have a clutch failure!

I run Thumper 20W-50 on the tranny side on both my CRF's for 2 years now and have yet to have a clutch failure!

It's not that it will cause the clutch to fail.

I am not stating that the bike will blow up if you run 20w-50.

I was recommending AMSOIL Series 2000 20w-50 for awhile. I ran into a couple issues with it in 2 and 4 stroke transmissions.

No failures... just performance issues (clutch drag, overheating, harsh gear engagement... etc) with novice racers. Nothing was mechanically wrong with the bikes. The issues were cured when switching to a lighter fluid.

In the end I would hope he would try a couple different oils and use what he feels works the best for him.

You do what works for you... I don't want to get into an oil argument.

I was recommending AMSOIL Series 2000 20w-50 for awhile. I ran into a couple issues with it in 2 and 4 stroke transmissions.

No failures... just performance issues (clutch drag, overheating, harsh gear engagement... etc) with novice racers. Nothing was mechanically wrong with the bikes. The issues were cured when switching to a lighter fluid.

In the end I would hope he would try a couple different oils and use what he feels works the best for him.

Makes sense to try different oils. My main concern was clutch performance, I'm confident the 20W50 syn will work in the engine but wondered if a thicker oil in the tranny would viscus couple the clutch plates when the lever is pulled causing drag and heat build-up.

I realize there is allot of opinions on oil.

Thanks for the feedback.

We run the AMSOIL 10W-40 MCF on both sides of the CRF250. The 20W-50 will work great on both sides also. Perhaps a bit heavy, but will not be a problem.

This is the most sense I have read in a long time. I mean about not wanting to get into an argument. :thumbsup: