Sign in to follow this  

YZF450 v YZF250

I am considering a YZF 250 or a YZF 450 as my next bike as a replacement for my WR450. I am a big guy (6'3'' and 200 pounds, in good physical shape) and raced "open bikes" all my life (CR500, YZF465, ...). I am back riding after 15 years and find my WR450 too heavy (otherwise it's a great bike). I trail ride a lot, do a bit of MX for fun (no races) and race Hare Scrambles (+ 40 class).

The fast guys here in HS ride smaller 2 strokes (YZF/RM/KX 250 or KTM 200).

I am considering getting a YZF 450 with a 9 oz heavier flywheel or a YZF 250 (probably with a heavier flywheel but lighter than 9 oz).

Here are my questions:

1) Is the YZF 250 too weak for a big guy like me? Will I really miss the big 450 power? (The YZF 250 has the same power/weight ratio as my WR450...)

2) Because I am relatively heavy and stil pretty fast, will the YZF 250 be more maintenance (both time and $$$)

Thanks for the feedback, I don't want to make the wrong choice.

I am 6'2" 200lb's and I got the 250f, I think the 450 would be a handful in the woods.

I race H/S also and would recommend new springs for your suspension :thumbsup:

I am 6'2" 200lb's and I got the 250f, I think the 450 would be a handful in the woods.

I race H/S also and would recommend new springs for your suspension :thumbsup:

What about maintenance? Is it reliable? will it last me two years without rebuilding the engine?

What about maintenance? Is it reliable? will it last me two years without rebuilding the engine?

I have plenty of friends over 200 lbs riding 250Fs. As for maintenance, you have to keep up with the oil, oil filter and air filter changes and it should be good. If you're constantly riding the limiter, then you're looking for engine replacement sooner. Stay in the low to mid range and the engine will keep on running - speaking for blue Yamahas of course, other colors may vary... :thumbsup:

Id go with a 250F. It has a lot more power than youd expect from a 250 4-stroke and should be plenty of power to haul you around.

The 250F is going to be lighter and easier to throw around than the 450.

As far as maintenace, as long as you keep up on oil and filter changes the engine will last you a long, long time. Yamaha's engines are pretty much bulletproof. A friend of mine has an '04 250F the he races MX with and his motor hasnt blown yet. I estimate that his engine has at least 200 hours on it.

A friend of mine has an '04 250F the he races MX with and his motor hasnt blown yet. I estimate that his engine has at least 200 hours on it.

mine has well over 200 hours of a pretty good beating, usually high revving, trying to lose the big lug that rides it :thumbsup:

6' 1" 200lbs 04 YZ250F. I love it. I race mx and trail ride with friends and have had 0 problems. She still fires first couple kicks hot or cold. I tend to stay higher in the revs because I am usually racing 450's in the +25 class. Change oil and filter. Clean air filter and no worries. :thumbsup:

The motor on the 250f will pull you around just fine but at 230 lbs, the suspension will let you down on a MX track unless you change the springs.

The 450 will take you anywhere you want to go a little faster w. no suspension issues. I ride both and weigh 215 so there you go. :thumbsup:

The motor on the 250f will pull you around just fine but at 230 lbs, the suspension will let you down on a MX track unless you change the springs.

The 450 will take you anywhere you want to go a little faster w. no suspension issues. I ride both and weigh 215 so there you go. :applause:

To have both would be great! :applause: However I need a "do it all bike", that is why I hesitate between the 450 and the 250.

In tight single track woods, I get a bit overwhelmed by my WR450, it might be because of the 250 pounds rather than it being a 450. NYMXer, if you had to choose only one, which would you pick and why? :thumbsup:

Thanks